Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm feeling like my 5 month old (today!) might be a bit behind on her large motor development. I'm not sure if I'm feeling this way because she is so different than my older DD or if there might really be some issues going on. Are other 5 month olds:

-- Holding head up 90 degrees during tummy time for several minutes (DD can only do this for a short time)
-- Scanning 180 degrees when holding head up during tummy time (I have not seen DD do this yet)
-- Sitting propped on her own hands (DD is not even close to this)
-- Rolling over
-- Bringing feet to mouth

My first DD was doing all these things by 5 months, but I know that all babes are different. It would just make me feel better to know that other babes are similar to mine... she seems to be developing well in the social/small motor stuff so far.

Thanks for endulging me!

· Registered
467 Posts
I know my son wasn't propping with his arms, rolling or sitting at that age yet. I'm not sure about the lifting his head stuff. He could bring his feet to his mouth but my dd took a really long time with that one. He didn't like tummy time even at that age. He ended up catching up. He cralwed around 9 months and the next day was pulling up and cruising. He can stand without holding on anything and use push toys now and seems like he may be close to walking at 11 months so he caught up fine.

· Registered
666 Posts
My daughter is 5 months and one week old. She was NOT holding herself up on her hands (arms strait) a week ago, but is now! She was NOT putting feet in mouth a week ago, but is now.....give it a couple weeks before you panic
She can some how sit on her own, pull up if given the chance and roll over though. She's strange like that, some things early, some late.. I dunno.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
My son is 10 days away from the 5-month mark. Here's where he is in relation to your listed milestones:

-- Holding head up 90 degrees during tummy time for several minutes (DD can only do this for a short time) YES
-- Scanning 180 degrees when holding head up during tummy time (I have not seen DD do this yet) YES
-- Sitting propped on her own hands (DD is not even close to this) NO, NOT EVEN CLOSE
-- Rolling overYES< BOTH WAYS
-- Bringing feet to mouth YES< FOR A LONG TIME NOW

My middle child was not necessarily doing most of these things at 5 months, but by 11 months was walking and speaking two and three word "sentences." My oldest was waaaay ahead of my littlest babe. They're all different, as you well know, and not meeting milestones on the earlier side often doesn't mean that much later on.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Mine is 6.5 months old now. He was doing all those things at 5 months. However, he taught himself to sit up literally overnight - just about at the 5 month mark - so you don't necessarily know if she's "not even close".

· Registered
330 Posts
DS can hold himself at 90 degrees and scan 180, and he can sit tripod style for a minute or two before toppling over, but nothing else you've listed.
He's rolled a few times, but I think they were all accidental.
He only started noticing his feet in the last week or two and so far has shown no desire to munch upon them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.