Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not starting this thread as a competition!!! I'm just a little concerned about DS's development and I wanted to compare it with other babes. I'm usually not too concerned with when he'll hit milestones, but I keep hearing about babies doing so much more than he is . . . so this is where he is developmentally:

*No words yet. Didn't babble at all until 8 months (hearing is fine, btw), makes d, b, g, p, n, y sounds, all vowels, blows raspberries almost as much as he babbles. Squeals a lot, makes "pterodactyl sounds"
*Knows some words - mommy, daddy, kitty, sling, milkies.
*Crawls well, pulls up well, walks holding onto my hands, just started cruising the other night. Can't stand alone. Not worried about gross motor skills.
*Uses pincer grasp every now and then, but not consistently. I don't really give him small finger foods, though, just teething biscuits, gnaws on carrots, etc, so not much practice.
*No stranger anxiety, very little separation anxiety - will cry briefly when I leave the room but only occasionally. Very attached though.
*Does not clap. Will open hands so I can make him clap, but as much as I try to teach him, he doesn't even try to do it himself.
*Kind of plays peekaboo, will cover his head with a blanket and pull it down if I initiate the game, and will pull it off my head.
*Doesn't really imitate what I do. Will sometimes imitate a sound, or once in awhile an action, but so infrequently that they might be flukes.
*Does not point or gesture at all. Trying to teach signs but probably not doing them consistently enough - starting to recognize milk and change diaper.

I'm probably forgetting some things. He is a very happy, healthy babe, he seems to understand much of what's going on and he knows what he wants, but it seems that his fine motor skills and verbal/communication abilities are behind. I was particularly concerned with his late babbling. I should mention that he was very ahead with all of his milestones up until about three months, when he started to lag in some areas. Could vaxes have anything to do with that? (We do not vax anymore.)
TIA!

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
Your baby sounds a lot like mine, and she is 10 months. I personally do not think he sounds behind at all.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
My guy will be 10 months in a few days

*No words yet. Didn't babble at all until 8 months (hearing is fine, btw), makes d, b, g, p, n, y sounds, all vowels, blows raspberries almost as much as he babbles. Squeals a lot, makes "pterodactyl sounds"

This is a lot like Aidan. I've heard mama and dada a couple of times in context, but it isn't consistent. My older two were talking a lot more at this age.

*Knows some words - mommy, daddy, kitty, sling, milkies.

I'm not sure if Aidan recognizes any words when spoken.

*Crawls well, pulls up well, walks holding onto my hands, just started cruising the other night. Can't stand alone. Not worried about gross motor skills.

Still commando crawling, pulled up for the first time today. Tries to walk while holding my hands, but isn't very good at it. He is way ahead of where my DD was in gross motor skills, but quite a bit behind where DS1 was at this age.

*Uses pincer grasp every now and then, but not consistently. I don't really give him small finger foods, though, just teething biscuits, gnaws on carrots, etc, so not much practice.*
He's gotten pretty good at this in the last few weeks.

No stranger anxiety, very little separation anxiety - will cry briefly when I leave the room but only occasionally. Very attached though.*

Same here

Does not clap. Will open hands so I can make him clap, but as much as I try to teach him, he doesn't even try to do it himself.
Same

*Kind of plays peekaboo, will cover his head with a blanket and pull it down if I initiate the game, and will pull it off my head.
He thinks it's funny if the older kids or I play it, but he doesn't do it himself

*Doesn't really imitate what I do. Will sometimes imitate a sound, or once in awhile an action, but so infrequently that they might be flukes.*
Aidan will sometimes imitate sounds, and he imitates chewing if we're eating and he's not.

Does not point or gesture at all. Trying to teach signs but probably not doing them consistently enough - starting to recognize milk and change diaper.
Aidan signs for milk, but that's it.

I'm probably forgetting some things. He is a very happy, healthy babe, he seems to understand much of what's going on and he knows what he wants, but it seems that his fine motor skills and verbal/communication abilities are behind. I was particularly concerned with his late babbling. I should mention that he was very ahead with all of his milestones up until about three months, when he started to lag in some areas. Could vaxes have anything to do with that? (We do not vax anymore.)

I really wouldn't worry much. DD was behind on all of her gross motor milestones, but she is a normal three year old now. If you're doing WBVs, you could address this issues with your ped, but it's likely that everything is fine.

One thing that having three kids has taught me is that they all develop at their own pace.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weliveintheforest
Your baby sounds a lot like mine, and she is 10 months. I personally do not think he sounds behind at all.

: nak

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sounds a lot like ds, Josh just turned 10 mo last week, he is cruising, babbling like crazy, he can stand alone..until he realizes he doing it...then he plops down..he can walk across the room to someone, he "understands a lot of words", but doesn't say anything except momma and dadda occasionally, he claps and just now started waving when coaxed. He loves anything with wheels on it...he makes a car sound whenever he sees anything with a wheel...bwun, bwun...

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weliveintheforest

My dd's a wee bit younger, but this sounds a lot like her. I don't think your little one is behind at all

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My guy claps and has hugh seperation anxiety, only says mama and dada and babab but he is breastfeed with no bottles ever
:

just started crawling, he turned 9 months old 2 days ago. Sounds like hes doing great mama!

angie

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You DS sounds like he's doing great!!!

My DS does some things yours doesn't and yours is doing some things that my DS isn't... KWIM?

For instance my DS can wave "bye bye" and "Hi" but isn't saying any words at all (except the occasional mama and dada out of context)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts