Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mamas - -<br><br>
So, I tried Zoloft at 50 mg for 3 months, when I hit a low with Depression & extreme anxiety, being diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder after that. On Zoloft, one day I felt really depersonalized, and it was BAD for weeks, has decreased about 70%. Intrusive OCD thoughts went away, with an exchange for constant inner dialogue and a feeling of disconnection. Sooo Doc tried to increase the Zoloft, and that lasted 4 days, I was wired with anxiety, adrenaline running through my veins.<br><br>
I decided to try out, after his suggestion, Celexa. My Psych stated this isn't as 'activating' as Celexa - - the first few days after lowering the zoloft i really felt that change,to be positive. I was soo hopeful !<br><br>
I took .25 of Zoloft for one week w/10 mg of Celexa, then the next week (last week) I increased Celexa to the full 20 and stopped the Zoloft. It has been about 4 days since stopping the zoloft and starting Celexa.<br><br>
The OCD type thoughts have not returned with a vegence or anything, I can feel a few peaking through, but I am using my Cog Beh Therpy techniques for those. BUT, I am feeling highly irritable, and as though I can cry at a drop of a hat, this has lasted about 2 days. Just very emotional, almost like PMS , but it's not that time of the month.<br><br>
Does this sound common with a med change ? And, if I did feel 'better' the first few days after the switch, where I was having half celexa and half zoloft, is that a positive indication the switch was a good move ?<br><br>
I am also on .25 Klonopin daily. I know, I know, the dreaded Benzos.<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Faith

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Oh, it can be so hard to find the right (or at least good-enough) med combination.<br><br>
Over the past 10 years, I have used Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Zoloft, and Serzone. I always go back to Paxil as it is the only thing that really controls my anxiety (the side effects are what have made me try other antidepressants).<br><br>
Recently, I had Lithium added to my Paxil on the suggestion of a pdoc who thought the recurrent nature of my episodes suggested Bipolar II or "soft" bipolar. The Lithium appears to be working very well--I have not had an episode in nearly a year. Lithium is often used with antidepressants for treatment-resistant depression. Might be something to talk about if another med (or other strategies) don't help.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
574 Posts
What type of side effects do you live with when taking your medication?<br><br>
I had never really thought of having to deal with on-going side effects until a recent med adjustment. My lithium was increased and for the last week I have definately been "off". An hour or so after my morning dose I start feeling weak, woozy, fuddled thinking, and dizzy. I stay in doors (mostly lying down) for most of the day until about 4pm. I am not comfortable driving or going to the gym during that time (which is something I did before) or walking with the kids anywhere. I feel pretty bad during this time. I am hoping these side effects will wane. I really want the lithium to work because it is so cheap. How long is long enough when dealing with troubling side effects? Does anyone deal with this crap on a daily basis, too?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts