Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knit up a pair of Picky Pants and used Kool Wool...too thick (and I want something with more wool, besides kool wool is discontinued). I just started another pair with Cascade 220 and it's definately thinner than I had hoped. So now I'm looking for suggestions.

What is your favorite yarn for soakers and longies?
How much yardage to a skein/hank/ball (whatever)?
How much does it cost per skein?
Where do you buy it? (links appreciated)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Blackberry Ridge Merino, hands down. And then BFL, though that might still be too thin for what you're thinking. And Targhee, too -- I prefer the two ply.

You can get the Blackberry Ridge direct from the woolen mill. What they call medium weight is a worsted weight and the 100% wool works very well for soakers. They offer gorgeous colorways, the yarn is soft but super durable, and knits up like butter. You can get BBR custom dyed by Woolly Wonders by Nada, too. Either way, it's around $15 per 4 ounce/230 yard skein.

You can also get BFL custom dyed at WW by Nada, too. Around the same price. Cascade Fiber Arts is another good source, and she does amazing dye work, too. Again, it wears well, though it does pill more than the BBR, maybe not quite as sturdy. Very soft, though. Very lovely.

Also, try Irish Baby Knits. She has some lovely yarns, especially the Galenas merino. And talk about gorgeous colorways!!! Still around the same price for a 4 ounce skein of yarn, too.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdmama33

Also, try Irish Baby Knits. She has some lovely yarns, especially the Galenas merino. And talk about gorgeous colorways!!! Still around the same price for a 4 ounce skein of yarn, too.
Those colors... oh wow... yup, DH is gonna kill me

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I've made a pair of Picky Pants with Manos.....
. I just got some 2 ply handpainted Farm Yarn from LTK and have tested it out for the Picky Pants pattern. Pretty nice!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I also just made some picky pants with 2 ply Little turtle knits - it's much cheaper if you get a solid color and her handpainted is nice too. It isn't the softest, but I don't think it's scratchy either, and it is very sturdy feeling!

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I like the BBR and Targhee that has already been mentioned along with the 6 ply bulky merino from handpaintedyarn.com. It is super buttery soft.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I also love the 6-ply bulky merino from handpaintedyarn.com, but from now on will only use it for pull-on style soakers or longies. For wraps you need something that holds its shape better. I just got the yarn sample set from blackberry ridge and that is definitely the next yarn I'm going to try! Seems sturdy and the colors are gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
blackberryridge merino
manos del uruguay
targhee
I like the bfl from fleece artist, it's the only bfl I've used

mmmm.....I have a lot of yarn that I can't even remeber what it is.

cascade eco is sturdy and pretty soft and much more affordable

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest Eco. It averages $15 for 250g (8.75oz)/478 yds.
I've heard good things about Bartlett's too. LTK carries it, as does Halcyon Yarns ($6.25 /4 oz (200yds) + ~$5 shipping).

PLymouth Outback works, too. It runs about $13 for 200g.

Oh, Lamb's Pride, too. Or Peace Fleece.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I prefer bulky yarn for soakers, myself.

For ethical and environmental reasons I choose to recycle sweaters from thrift stores. Both sewing soakers from them, and frogging the sweaters for knitting soakers.

It is inexspensive and relatively easy.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i am really in love with the linden from www.irishbabyknits.com i'm not sure what her core yarn is, but it's really lovely, i think it's a merino? her colors are absolutely to die for (dye for?) and she also sells it undyed if you want to do it yourself.

i've got some fern and faerie pants started for ollie and i adore knitting with this yarn. it feels fabulous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts