Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking a lot here and love what I am reading. I have a 12 month old and I know it may be too early to do a lot of disciplining, but please tell me your favorite GD Book and or positive parenting book or website. I would love to read as much as possible, before I need it. So far I am really doing great redirecting her, but sometimes I feel

My family, who has not raised a child in more than 30 yrs, keeps saying "She has to learn "no". It is getting very aggravating.

Thanks in advance!
Jenn
julia

·
Registered
295 Posts
Actually, you discipine a baby every day. Discipline = to teach.

Since she's so young, I'd recommend starting with theory rather than how to books. Responsive discipline in the coming months is simple redirection, routine, active parenting, engaging her, etc.

I'd read things like:

Kids Are Worth It by Barbara Coloroso
Easy To Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky Bailey
Anything by Dreikers
P.E.T by Thomas Gordon
books by Faber and Mazlish
The Discipline Book by Sears
Jane Nelsen is good, but stay away from her birth - 3 yo book
Books by Elizabeth Pantley

The Natural Child project has some excellent articles
So does Jane Nelsen's site

Feel free to drop by my site.
If you are Christian, I have additional ideas and resources.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I loved Becoming The Parent You Want To Be by Laura Davis. It's aimed at children from birth to 5 years. The discipline section is very very good.
I started reading every discipline book I could get my hands on when ds was maybe 6 mos- so I could be prepared.
I also recommend
Loving Your Child Is Not Enough by Nancy Samalin (very similar to How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen and Parent Effectiveness Training)
Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn

Here are some sites I like too
http://www.nospank.net/gordon4.htm
http://www.naturalchild.com/

Here's a site with some good links about positive parenting. Not everything is gd, but most is. It would take a long while to get through all the stuff here! http://www3.sympatico.ca/kaediem/pos...ing/index.html

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HappyHSer, I have dropped by your site already and I loved it. I have it bookmarked and sent the link to my dh at work. He has a little more time to read there than at home, since the computer is always on to MDC!

Jenn

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Here is the link for the Natural Child Project web site. It has many gentle discipline articles. http://www.naturalchild.com/

There is a sticky at the top of this forum with a recommended book list that you might want to browse.

A favorite of mine that wasn't listed is "Living Joyfully with Children" by Win and Bill Sweet.

Pat

·
Registered
438 Posts
IMO, the absolute best is Alfie Kohn's "Unconditional Parenting" -- total paradigm shift for me, our family, my life & relationships in general . . . I could go on for DAYS.
Our son is 2.5, and I can't tell you how grateful I am I read this book at this stage in his life!

"Becoming the Parent You Want to Be" by Laura Davis is also fantastic.

"The Emotional Life of the Toddler" by Alicia Lieberman is terrific for helping to understand, from a developmental perspective, what toddlers go through and why they act in the ways they do.

I also want to throw in here that, although we've had some rough spots here & there, we absolutely LOVE the "terrible twos." We are having such a ball with our little guy, and I think there's way too much negative emphasis put on this stage of development. We think it's awesome!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everybody for responding. I did read the sticky listing all the books, but I wanted a favorites litst. I appreciate the responses for books and websites. I have a lot of reading to do, but it should be fun since I really want to be the best parent to my child.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.