Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm trying to change my son's eating habits. He's 2. He doesn't have horrible habits, he doesn't actually eat a lot at all. He loves fruit and peanut butter and speghetti. He was eating carrots today and like cukes. I usually have to feed him while he's doing something else but he knows how to use a fork and spoon if he wants to. I'm looking for him to have high energy and avoid temper tantrums. He forgets to eat or is too busy doing other things so he won't and then he looses it. He's a milk drinker as I didn't produce anything more than colostrum. We are cutting down on the milk from a quart to around half that. It used to be his major source of food and still can be if he is under stress. I'm not so terribly gung ho on him being vegan, dairy is OK. DH is going vegetarian but keeping dairy. But, when I'm feeding him I'd like some vegan options too. thanks!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
we're l/o veg and not vegan, but some of our meals end up that way!

-Pancakes and smoothies
-beans and rice (very recently - he used to abhor rice!)
-Seitan fajitas (LOVES LOVES LOVES seitan)
-PB&J, AB&J

And on occassion Tofu Pups and Bernie O's (very rarely, but dh loves it so very much!)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Smoothies! With a good sippy cup, and a well-liquified smoothie, kids can eat on the run! Try fruit, veggies, silken tofu, milk/soymilk, juice... there's lots of options. It's also easy to throw in ground up flaxseeds or other nutritional enhancers.

My DD loves ABJs, but I wouldn't recommend that for a kid that doesn't like to sit and eat

If the 'sitting and eating' thing is the issue, have you tried reading to him while he eats? Singing? Maybe he's been getting enough milk that he hasn't been hungry enough to focus on eating at meal time. I know, the line hungry-but-not-too-hungry is hard to walk!

Aven

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Quote:
With a good sippy cup, and a well-liquified smoothie, kids can eat on the run!
My ds can be a bit antsy as well, but when it comes to smoothies a regular cup and straw seems to be ok. He's both fascinated by the straw and the smoothie. Another option is to pour the smoothie through a strainer to catch the seeds from the fruit (if any), that seems to be the biggest issue w/cloggig up the sippy.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I recommended the sippy cup just from a cleanliness perspective. I do enough cleaning already
: I don't need to make more work for myself. Blueberries can be quite stainy. Of course, if the kids are running around outside, who cares. My DD loves straws too. She also loves to pour.

Aven

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your replies! DS likes smoothies sometimes. I'm working on those. We are getting ready to move back to the states and I'm waiting to buy a super-blender until then. My blender has a hard time with strawberries, forget the ice all together.

Ds is getting better. I'm getting his attention much more often lately and we are starting to communicate through the temper tantrums. (over 2 and not yet talking) He's working on his 2 yo molars and is really a treat to be around lately.
:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.