Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a career change, and I think WAH would be incredibly beneficial to me as a single mom. I'll most likely need to go back to school first, which I'm okay with, but eventually I would like to have a WAH job with good enough pay that I can afford to work part time hours instead of fulltime. Meaning I could hopefully get the work done in the hours dd is at school during the day time, or at night when she's sleeping.

Any job ideas that would meet those requirements?

· Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent View Post
What is your educational background?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessed View Post
Do you have any other training?
Whatever my previous educational background/training is, Im okay with going back to school to get the necessary qualifications needed for a job that meets those requirements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamasaurus View Post
How much money would be your minimum to make working PT? That would have an effect on what career you choose.
minimum $22.

· Registered
3,224 Posts
These are kind of impossible questions to answer. First, what your pay must be depends on your situation--What standard of living do you want to maintain? What is the cost of living in your area? What are your current fixed expenses? What bills won't change (mortgage, debt, etc), and what can you tweak? It's hard to say, because your taxes will probably change, but I would guess that, to keep stable, you need to make at least 50% more per hour than what you're making now. Plus, you need to consider benefits--are you getting a pension, 401K, or health insurance now that you'll have to pay for yourself?

For educational purposes, you might consider degrees that you can work on in part or in full online. But an important question to consider is what you are interested in. I'm a big proponent of Joseph Campbell's admonition to "follow your bliss." Listen to your intuition. Listen to what brings you joy, and then go there. Don't just follow the money, because it'll only bring discontent and resentment. Instead, figure out what you want, at least generally, then work towards making what you need doing that. (This is the complete opposite of the advice my dad always gave me, by the way, which was "figure out a way to love what helps you prosper, as long as it's moral that is." But for some reason, that never worked for me.
)

Good luck!

· Registered
1,907 Posts
I have a friend who is a recent law school grad who writes appellate briefs for a lawyer. She works in her kitchen for about 3 hours a day and makes $45 per hour.

· Registered
606 Posts
I teach private music lessons in my home studio. I teach 10 hours a week and we have a babysitter come in to watch the kids during that time. Maybe some sort of private teaching/tutoring situation? Again, that would depend on your education and experience.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Whatever my previous educational background/training is, Im okay with going back to school to get the necessary qualifications needed for a job that meets those requirements.
I get that. But the education and experience you've aleady got under your belt (a bachelor's degree? GED? 5 years of experience as an RN, before taking off time to have kids?) would shape my suggestions.

Most of the well-paid WAHMs I know (and that included me for a while, after DD was born) either have their own businesses or they telecommute for companies they already have proven themselves to. (I'm in the latter catagory.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.