Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, these don't necessarily create art, but they are creative:
* watercolors (I recommend getting real watercolor paper and water colors in a tube - not the Crayola pans - the colors are much more vivid and blend well)
* markers
* tinted shaving cream (spread on a table or tray, then draw designs with fingers - could also do with pudding or something edible)
* mix cornstarch and water
* collage (be prepared for lots of glue)
* stickers (we like those foam stickers in various shapes that have taken over the craft stores)
* hang up an old sheet or fabric (outside), spray with colored water or dilute paint, or use big paint brushes to "fling" paint onto it (a la Jackson Pollock)
* in a muffin tin, fill 3 cups with food-color tinted water - use a dropper to mix colors into the other cups
* sidewalk chalk (use on wet or dry paper or sidewalk, have the chalk be wet or dry)
* put paint on a tray or in a baking pan, smear it around with fingers or other tools, lay down paper on top to take a print
* paint leaves, then lay paper on top to take a print
* marble painting - put a sheet of paper in a deep baking pan, squeeze some paint on it, roll a large marble or two around in it
* use a bucket of water and old paintbrush to "paint" the house or sidewalk
* get an endroll of newsprint to lay out large "canvasses" - set out a tray of paint to do hand and foot prints on the paper

These are just a few off the top of my head. I've done all these with my 2 year old with varying degrees of success - usually because big sis is doing them too.

Kristin
mom to dd (almost 6), ds (3) and #3 due in June

·
Registered
752 Posts
I used to (and I really oughta start doin it again) pick up cheap canvases at yard sales. I'd paint over them in one color and let my kids at em with acrylics or oils. Mostly at that age my kids were concerned with painting the entire canvas one color, but they really enjoyed the process

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Oh...I like the idea of recycling that gods awful art you find at thrift stores/yard sales!

My 2yo enjoys paper mache and making paper...probably because it's messy!

She also enjoys chalk on her chalk board and painting with water...she will often use a small paintbrush to paint the water on her chalk board (sometimes over her chalk pictures, sometimes on the "blank" board) but she has all sorts of brushes from home depot to play with.

We also have modeling beeswax...it's tougher than play dough and good for working out energy.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
this would only work if you have a yard and don''t mind big messes but ...

as a kid i used to make mud sculptures with my dad. the really big ones wold get covered in grass if we left them there. the mud in his yard had a high clay content. it felt artistic and creative and i imagine a 2 year old would at least have fun doing it. i really hope when i have a 2 year old he/she will want to make mud sculptures with me and that i will have a suitable yard!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruchika View Post
hey y dont u take him to these playgroup and all that happens locally.They conduct various activities all the time like in library and all. u can find your local events details in http://www.mybaby.com/Events. i always take my jane to these activities coz he gets to meet other kids of his age.
: try out he may like it.
I take him out to play every day, but we live in a very small and remote town, and I don't have a driver's license. I need creative outlets for when we have to stay inside the house, such as when it's just too hot to go out (we live in the desert).

I just got him some playdoh and art supplieas this wewek-end, and he's excited about it. Thanks for all the suggestions

·
Registered
503 Posts
We've been bringing DD to an art class, and in addition to a lot of the suggestions you've already been given, one of the kids' favorite things is always bingo markers! We did this one project that was really cute where the teacher cut out a sillhouette of a gumball machine. The kids glued it on colored paper, and then used the bingo markers to make the gumballs. They love making the dots.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The biggest hit we had lately was that DS is really into Rocket Ships right now. So I promised him when we got a big cardboard box, we'd make one. We cut out a door and a window and dragged it outside. I got him poster paints and a sponge painting kit and we went to town on the box. And the box is still in the house where he plays rocket every day
I LOVED doing that kind of stuff as a kid.

We also do
-playdoh
-sponge painting
-bathtub paints
-sidewalk chalk and sidewalk paint
-stamps
-crayons and markers

and I'm making a list for myself now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.