Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MIL gave me this fabric that her sister bought in Morocco decades ago. It's really pretty; it has gold threads running through it. I'd like to make a table runner out of it. I'm thinking it looks like something that should just be wiped clean, not put in the washing machine. It also looks like something I can't iron, but if that's the case, how do I get the folds out of it? Help?!

(I'd like to start making this table runner right away as MIL is coming this weekend and it's a Christmas gift for her. So ASAP help is appreciated.)
:

· Registered
103 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means....but thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Do you think it could be hand washed? Could you test a small piece? I would lean that direction, gently towel press and/or drip dry, and then if ironing is needed - use a cover cloth and be really gentle, start with lower heat, etc...

It should be ok, I can't see the color bleeding onto the metallic threads.

Let us know how it goes!

· Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Once it's sewn up, I'd probably wash it cold, gentle. But I would also double hem all edges. That stuff will ravel if washed before it's sewn up.

As for getting the creases out, I'd probably go for the old fashioned way of getting it wet and hanging it dry. Or toss it in the dryer on the lowest heat setting with a damp towel, remove promptly.

· Registered
13,743 Posts
I have a wrap made of that, but it's selvedge to selvedge and fringed. I can iron it, very gently and through a damp cloth, but I've never needed to put it in the washing machine. If I do, I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.