Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
HHmmm Ive never had a problem with pockets leaking.
Is the insert wet or dry? is it leaking out the legs? are you letting the fleece roll out?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
WOW! I never had a problem with my HH and they are soo worn some have holes through the outside fabric
however i never liked microterry i always have used HH hemp. IS the diaper fitting her correctly? Are they wicking out the sides? I also liked putting chinese prefolds in mine

michele

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I'm not familiar with microterry either. We just bought our first insert for out HHs that we'll start using in Sept when DS goes to daycare. I bought just one insert to use as a template for making my own inserts out of prefolds.

How new are you to CDing?? Do you know about proper washing and that? Does microfibre, like cotton, have to be washed (and dried) a few times (like 6!) in order to reach its full absorbancy??

Make sure you're using the proper detergent in order to avoid buildup and hence repelling, and make sure they've been washed and dried a bunch of times before using. See how that goes- lots of folks love HHs, I'm sure it's just a matter of working out the kinks in order for you to find the HH love too!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a HH that had the waterproofed Cotton outside (it was like a laminated print) that was the cutest diaper ever and it did the same thing - I tried all sorts of ways to make it stop leaking and eventually I had to sell it. The PUL outer works better in my opinion on pockets...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is your baby wearing a onesie? Sometimes onesies can cause wicking at the legs--depending on the fit.

I know some mamas use one size up to avoid this problem, some avoid onesies alltogether. I've never had a problem with it, but I think I'm in the minority.

I've never had a single problem with the pockets the I have leaking. I use mostly micro inserts too....

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did let the fleece roll out--that's my favorite feature because it is so soft and no elastic touches her legs.

I washed once in plain Tide (as recommended on the web site) with no fabric softener or dryer sheet.

It leaked out the legs. But it was a print. She has worn two solids today and they did not leak. Also I think I need to change her after 2 hrs instead of 2 1/2 hrs when I use the HH inserts. Also I have two Thirsties by Cotton Bottoms (I think--maybe it's Cotton Babies) and they are much wider. I used one of those today in a print and it did not leak after 2 1/2 hrs.

I guess a lot of this is trial and error, huh?

Oh, and what does "wicking" mean? "Leaking"?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Wicking means the moisture is coming through to the outside of the fabric.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Solid HH always wicked but at the time I didn't have many insert options to experiment with before I got rid of it. I do know that a cotton babies one size insert laid inside a tri- folded bigger weeds hemp insert ( also made my cotton babies) does eliminate wicking/ leaking in my pockets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You may also want to try Fuzzi Bunz they're great and I never have any leaks with them. Also try putting the HH through the dryer to seal the holes in the PUL.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try drying them in the dryer.

I really don't want to double up on the inserts. I tried that today in a solid color, a hemp and a HH microterry inside, and it leaked within 30 minutes. Not only was the fleece on her thighs wet but there was a wet spot on the fabric itself. Plus it looked so bulky. I personally would not want to crawl with all that between my legs.

I would much rather go back to sposies. They are so trim and never ever leak. I was curious how much it would hold compared to an insert that says it holds 8.5 oz for example. To test the disposable one I poured 12 oz of water in it, came back 30 min later and the surface was completely dry. I couldn't even wring it out. Yes, they aren't as good for the environment but I really can't afford to buy $15 diapers plus $2.50 inserts that I have to change every hour.

I don't want to do AIOs, fitteds, or prefolds because she has such sensitive skin. The worst part of the HHs is that she is getting a diaper rash--on her tummy, her bag, and inner thighs from touching the wet fleece all the time.

And the strangest part is, she is NOT a heavy wetter at all.

I may try the Fuzzi Bunz before giving up completely. Do they feel dry to the touch? She really can't have anything even remotely wet against her skin.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jujub
You may also want to try Fuzzi Bunz they're great and I never have any leaks with them. Also try putting the HH through the dryer to seal the holes in the PUL.
Forgot to ask--why would it have holes? Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The fleece in the fuzzi bunz pulls the moisture into the insert instead of leaving it touching your babies skin. That's the point of the fleece! It works great.

There will be holes in the PUL from sewing. That should definitely help. Also, I've never used Tide on my CDs. I haven't researched it, but maybe that is part of your problem? (I've never used HH, so I don't know, but with FB's I don't use tide, I use Sun)

Or, are you washing/rinsing them until there are no more bubbles in the machine?
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by masonite
The fleece in the fuzzi bunz pulls the moisture into the insert instead of leaving it touching your babies skin. That's the point of the fleece! It works great.

There will be holes in the PUL from sewing. That should definitely help. Also, I've never used Tide on my CDs. I haven't researched it, but maybe that is part of your problem? (I've never used HH, so I don't know, but with FB's I don't use tide, I use Sun)

Or, are you washing/rinsing them until there are no more bubbles in the machine?
Good luck!
The HHs fleece is supposed to work the same way but unfortunately it doesn't. I got two shipments yesterday and I was so excited to try one that I didn't even wash it (I washed the others). The one I didn't wash wicked/leaked as well so I don't think it was the Tide. Also I don't think Tide would cause build-up after just one wash.

Plus I don't think it is the diaper material that is causing the leaks. It is the placement of the insert. So far my experience has been that if there is a gap between the insert and the fleece-covered elastic, the urine will seep through the fleece and leak out. And there seems to be no way to keep the insert from shifting around since she is learning to crawl, sits on my hip in the sling, rolls around in her sleep, etc. I can't imagine how anyone is able to make this work.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I'd bet the fleece is repelling. How much soap are you using. Sometimes with new stuff you have to wash several times to reach max absorbancy. My HH uses a hemp insert and it a great diaper

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
HHs don't work for us. I find their leg holes are really large, and my baby's thighs just don't fill them - in the wrong position, wee just runs out the side.

We have success with swaddlebees, bumgenius, fuzzibunz and prefolds.

Quote:
Oh, and what does "wicking" mean? "Leaking"?
wicking is leaking when two wet fabrics come in contact with each other

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabe
HHs don't work for us. I find their leg holes are really large, and my baby's thighs just don't fill them - in the wrong position, wee just runs out the side.
This a common issue...was for us tool and my son had BIG thighs!
He is at the very top of the weight range for the mediums now and they fit perfectly and never leak unless he is napping on his side (side-sleepers are a whole other issue...
: )

We stuff with Thirsties 4x6x4 infant prefolds for daytime.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, I wonder what it is about HHs. I am really disappointed because I sooo wanted them to work. But I am kind of glad to hear it may be the HHs and not cloth in general.

I am feeling a little better now than when I posted this afternoon. Then I was
I am shopped out for the month and will get in trouble w/ dh if I spend any more money right now. But next week I think I will try the money back guarantee Bum Genius and a FB. If they work I will sell my HHs on Ebay. Dd's poops are solid so there is no staining at all and some of them I haven't even used. The prints are gorgeous so I should be able to make some $$$.

Thanks so much for everyone's input!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
We were using HH for daycare, and I finally got them not to leak by stuffing them with a HH hemp stuffin (the most trim leak-proof thing), or double-stuffing them with a hemp insert wrapped topped with a microfiber insert. The latter solution was much more bulky, so I'd suggest trying HH hemp stuffins.

FWIW, I tried washing with Tide a couple of times and it gave my DS a bad burn-like rash after only a couple of washes. The enzymes in Tide are STRONG and can digest baby skin if it comes into contact with the skin when wet. I'd recommend stripping your dipes by washing in hot water with no detergent til there are no suds, then trying Allen's Naturally or Charlie's Soap to avoid buildup and rashes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts