Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some Nutiva based on feedback from several ladies here earlier this week. Its been great for stir fry, rice and smoothies. I'm in the process of incorporating a little bit of EVCO into my daily diet. However, I'm wondering if there is a brand/type EVCO that has less of the coconut flavor since it can overwhelm some foods or if there's another type of oil that is better to use with some dishes. I want to move away from using EVOO for cooking but I also don't want to overwhelm some of our favorite dishes with the flavor of coconut. Maybe there's a better alternative that I don't know about yet. I'm really new to all of this so please share what kind of oil you use when you don't want the coconut flavor but still want it to be healthy.

TIA!!

Kim

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I also use butter and lard for cooking and baking, depending on what I'm making. I also sometimes use palm oil. Make sure it's not hydrogenated palm oil, or palm kernel oil, as those are not healthy fats.

As for the coconut taste, pretty much all of the extra-virgin, organic coconut oils have some degree of coconut flavor. The refined oils, which aren't good for you, don't, but that's because they've been striped, washed, bleached, etc.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
i use butter, extra virgin olive oil, and maybe i will start using avocado oil. i saw last night on 'Good Eats' that avocado oil has a high flash point, etc. but i haven't looked into it or anything. for coconut oil, i feel like Tropical Traditions has a pretty bland flavor that doesn't impart much taste on foods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.