Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to buying soccer stuff.
My kids are peanuts and I already had to order ds's cleats online because none of the stores here carried his size. A lady at the YMCA told me to get the shin guards that are socks, but my bro's gf's sister says no, they spin around and wind up on the calf. I already bought one pair like that, but didn't get another because it was the last one.

What can you wise soccer moms tell me? Ds is in U-6 and dd is in U-8.

· Registered
9,061 Posts
My 8yo DS (U10s) prefers the simple kind of shin guards that velcro around the calves. He doesn't like the ones with stirrups that go over the ankles.

These are the kind he likes.

These are the kind he doesn't like.

These is what he uses.

Here is a link to an article on how to buy shin guards.

Quote:
When buying shin guards online, get the right fit by measuring an inch below the kneecap and an inch above the ankle. Shin guards are described in length, and this will help you choose the best fit. In addition to the proper length, the size of the ankle cup should be such that it fits closely, protecting the bones of the ankle

· Registered
10,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
Oh one more thing, please have your lo's wear their shin guards inside their socks.

Yes I admit it, I am a soccer mom!

I was thinking that would be good, but can you tell me why specifically?

· Registered
9,061 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I was thinking that would be good, but can you tell me why specifically?
Apart from the fact it looks silly -- ever seen a professional soccer player with his/her shin guards outside their socks? Soccer socks are designed to hold the shin guards in place.

· Registered
10,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
Apart from the fact it looks silly -- ever seen a professional soccer player with his/her shin guards outside their socks? Soccer socks are designed to hold the shin guards in place.
I guess not. Can you tell I wasn't a soccer player? At least I know I bought the right socks!

· Registered
4,016 Posts
OK, I have a silly question. WHERE do you buy soccer gear at for little kids? I signed my preschooler up for autumn soccer, and have no clue about where to get socks, shin guards, shoes, etc.. He's REALLY tiny for his age. So, I am kind of afraid we are going to have a hard time finding things that will fit him correctly.

· Registered
1,614 Posts
Eek, I'm doing it all wrong! Granted, my kids are ridiculously little to be in soccer (4 and 2 1/2 and this will be their second year...) but we just walked into Target and picked the cheapest ones off the shelf. My 4-year-old's were the sock ones but her feet were too small so we cut the feet parts off. My 2 1/2-year-old's are the slide-on ones but not socks. They work well, don't slide or twist, and the kids think they're comfortable. We love toddler soccer!

· Registered
10,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mags View Post
OK, I have a silly question. WHERE do you buy soccer gear at for little kids? I signed my preschooler up for autumn soccer, and have no clue about where to get socks, shin guards, shoes, etc.. He's REALLY tiny for his age. So, I am kind of afraid we are going to have a hard time finding things that will fit him correctly.
I ordered ds's cleats from shoebuy.com. They have free shipping to and from in case you need to return them. I have no idea what to do about the rest though. My kids are small too.

· Registered
4,016 Posts
Darn, I was just at target this evening. I should have peeked in their athletic dept to see if they might have anything to fit my DS. I know that once they release more info about the class, it will make it even harder to find equipment, since we live in a more rural area, things get sold out fast.

· Registered
2,692 Posts
This is all good to know... Dd (5.5) starts soccer this fall and we need to get her the shin guards, obviously.

Thanks for the links, uccomama!
:

· Registered
10,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mags View Post
I know that once they release more info about the class, it will make it even harder to find equipment, since we live in a more rural area, things get sold out fast.
Sounds like our area. I know that dd's first game is on Sept. 6th, but we know nothing about practices at all. I don't think they even have coaches yet.

· Registered
913 Posts
For my preschooler, we went to Target and got the socks that you slide the shin guards into. They work great at this age. I had to order the shoes online.

And he didn't end up liking soccer. I'm more of a hockey mom

· Registered
777 Posts
My kids don't like the velcro-strap ones, do like the stirrup ones, don't like the sock ones...velcro ones don't stay in place on their skinny legs. sock ones are too bulky inside the shoes...

point being I don't believe there is one best way.. it will depend on what fits their shins best. We wear the guards over the socks, sock folded over.

Our local ayso organization tries to keep a big box of hand-me-downs.. check to se if yours does..

· Registered
9,061 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BAU3 View Post
My kids don't like the velcro-strap ones, do like the stirrup ones, don't like the sock ones...velcro ones don't stay in place on their skinny legs. sock ones are too bulky inside the shoes...

point being I don't believe there is one best way.. it will depend on what fits their shins best. We wear the guards over the socks, sock folded over.
You are right that every child is different. My DS has some mild sensory issues plus he is an extremely gifted player so I think he finds the ones with the stirrups don't give him the fine touch on the ball that he gets without. As I linked in my post my DS wears shin guards that are molded to his legs that slip into a special tight fitting sleeve so they fit perfectly.

I still think shin guards over the socks even with them pulled down looks unprofessional, but I guess at U8s or under it doesn't really matter
. But my DS takes soccer very, very seriously, and the academy he trains with (Colorado Rapids) does not permit their players to play with shin guards over the socks at all, they also are supposed to have their jerseys tucked into their shorts (like that ever happens
). It is also a pet peeve of mine, so I guess I am over sensitive about it.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
My son's soccer league is very calm and relaxed about everything (at the year end picnic this year we realized that noone, kids or adults or even coaches had tallied wins and losses and that we didn't really have a clue whether it had been a winning season or not) except shin guards over socks. Apparently they've had cases where kids's shin guards have come unvelcroed or loose and have cut other players with their edges.

Every week we get an email from the coach with the time of the game, whose bringing snack, a reminder to bring a water bottle, and a reminder to put our socks OVER the shin guards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.