Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I never got the hang of a sling myself. I could never adjust it so it felt comfortable and like the baby wouldn't fall out. I blame my own incompetence coupled with the fact that they are made for women that are six inches shorter than I am and weigh 80 pounds less.

I found that front packs are awesome, though! I really the Baby Bjourne one--it's a little more expensive than some others but well worth the money.

I also like backpacks. These have the disadvantage of the baby being behind you, but have the advantage of the baby being behind you. Basically, if I was trying to get something done (cook dinner, clean the house), the backpack was a good choice. For walking around looking at things (the zoo or whatever), the frontpack was a good choice.

So in direct answer to your question, no I don't know of any good slings for men.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
For me, a pouch sling worked best (big and non adjustable). I have trouble with the adjustable ones, too. I would put dd on a folded towel to prevent her from being totally covered by the sling until she was bigger. Backpacks are good for walks. She never liked the front carriers. Go figure.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i just asked dh and he said he likes the wrap the best. he's about 5'8" and fairly overweight (he wears a 42" waist pant). he found the ring too complicated, and doesnt like the way the asian fit. he likes the pocket but ds is getting heavy enough that it's hard to wear him in the pocket for very long.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've tried a Maya Adjustable Pouch, a Kozy, and an Ergo. The Maya Pouch was nice when the baby was small but as he got older and heavier it frequently seemed to slip off my shoulder. I'd definitely use one again for the first few months. Actually I'd like to try a sling (ring sling) with our next baby just to see how it differs (I'll probably try a Maya Sling, the fabric is nice and there are good prices on Ebay). But now that our son is 6 (almost 7) months I'm really loving the Ergo. I tried the Kozy but didn't really dig the straps hanging and I'd rather deal with the Ergo buckles than the tieing of the Kozy straps. Right now I'm only using the Ergo for the front carry. Maybe in a month or so we'll try the back carry with it. Anyway I highly recommend the Ergo baby carrier.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
DH like the Maya wrap for most things, but for long walks or something he likes the front pack--like a snuggli

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ring sling (over the shoulder baby holder) worked great for me except that it took a little practice to figure out how to position the ring to avoid having it dig into my bony shoulder (I'm a pencil-neck geek at 6'2", 170). We tried a Bjorn thing, but it just didn't do it. The sling was much better. The over the shoulder type puts DS/DD sort of beside you and you can talk and look at the same thing, unlike the others where their back is to you or their face is buried in your chest. I could see how the ring sling might not work for everybody though. Try them till you find one that works and for God's sake don't let it make you give up on that part of AP-ing!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I saw an ad (or article?) in Mothering aeons ago that had a large sari/sarong tied into a sling. I did that because the NoJo was just too bulky and had the weird padding edge that seemed to snag on everything. A hand tied sling worked on back or in front. And it was less sweaty for me... my kids were sweat manufacturers for small villages I think. The NoJo just made me stayed soaked.... but the sari worked fine. And it was only $10 compared to $50 or whatever the lexus costs nowadays.

When our two boogers got to be too heavy for slinging I switched to the Kelty backpack and hooked up a hand mirror to a biner. That way I could see them and they learned to reach over me and hand the mirror to me when they wanted to babble at me (and later, real talk).

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well we did not give birth yet. Or i did not lol, but my DH is set on using the Hug-a-bub. He thinks it feels good and is comfortable. So we will see, i might have to get back to you on how it worked after a while

·
Registered
207 Posts
DH currently loves our Freehand Mei Tai, and he is a big fan of pouches, and when DS was smaller, he used the Ellaroo every day

So, to sum up, he likes everything but ring slings. I've jst ordered him a cammoflage fleece abc for his xmas gift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter is 20 months old now and around 30 lbs. At the beginning I liked the Baby Bjorn frong carrier. Now I use a ring sling in the side carry position for short trips from the parking lot to store. I prefer a back carrier for long walks -- my wife made me a carrier very similar to the Ergo that I love.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a Maya pouch and a regular Maya and have used my wife's Over-the-shoulder and Moby and I have to say that for most occasions, I prefer the Maya Wrap. The pouch isn't bad when they are young, but as my sons have gotten older, they start squirming more and the regular Maya allows me to snug them in better. I do like the Moby at times too, but prefer the easy of getting the Maya on.
Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wrote an article comparing different carriers from my point of view (including what's worked for me at different stages of DS's life):
Babywearing for Dads

It seems like many dads like the Ergo or a pouch for looks.

Now that DS is almost 2, I'm still using the Ergo and my Rev. Jan ring sling often. The Ergo is for outtings and the ring sling for quick in-and-out home use. HTH!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'm not a dad, but I've been married to two of them
Both of them didn't like the sling at all- it seems like the sling is designed to work with a woman's curves and men do better with a more structured baby carrier.

First dh used the backpack when the baby was big enough- I remember the 4 of us going hiking, Leah on Ben's back and Hannah on my hip. My 2nd dh felt more comfortable with ds in front, rather than back, and we found a carrier at the thrift store that could be used either as a front or back pack- it had an aluminum frame and lots of straps and he was comfortable carrying ds in that.

I never found the "structured" carriers comfy for me at all- I did best with a sling or another soft carrier that had no material between me and the baby. Bottom line- if you're serious about mom and dad both wearing the baby- get 2 different carriers!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I like your article, too!

My DH loves our Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch -- he's been using it to walk DS to sleep since he was born. The pouch has really been great for him as a dad because it has really allowed him to develop a special relationship with DS. Dads can feel left out because they can't bond with their babies through breastfeeding, and slinging your baby can really make you feel connected to your baby in a way that's comparable to breastfeeding.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.