Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Moms!

We are in the market for our first stroller and I am completely overwhelmed with the choices and price range out there! I have been wearing my 21 month old DS everywhere since he was born so have never needed a stroller. Now that I am pregnant with #2, I am thinking about getting a stroller to wheel around my toddler and am primarily concerned with 1) price--the cheaper the better!, 2) durability & maneuverability --need something that can withstand the brick/bumpy sidewalks in the city, 3) easy to fold/open--while wearing a newborn and keeping the toddler contained, and 4) compactness---we live in a small apartment so it needs to stow away with as little space as possible, plus I don't want to wheel around a huge contraption around town or on the T.

Is there such a thing??

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I'm not from your area but used to live there. How much are you willing to spend? DS loves his Maclaren Quest, which is light and very foldable but not too cheap. But it's cheaper than some of the other Maclarens.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
If your 21 mo is small, those $20 strollers are useful but if he's big, he may have outgrown their safe weight limit by now. Also if you yourself are tall, you may have trouble pushing them. But I see short people with small children (I'm medium height with a tall child) pushing them all the time.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
We have a big stroller, but I bought a little $16 umbrella one for DD to keep in the car, and she really hates it. I think it's really uncomfortable, no padding, etc. My parents bought a Maclaren for when we visit them, and she really likes that one. I know it's more expensive, but I personally would try to spring for a slightly more expensive umbrella stroller.

Maybe try Craigslist? People often sell strollers there. IME most people expect far more than they're worth, but offer 50% of the new price and they'll probably consider it.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I'd get a Maclaren if possible. We have the "Volo" which is the most simple model and absolutely love it. I was able to get one on ebay for $40 in excellent condition. It only weighs 7 pounds, folds very small, is easy to push (and carry, if needed), and our kids find it incredibly comfortable (I think because of the sling-like seat).

HTH!

Lex

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a Maclaren Triumph, and love it. My son is a big kid, so I wanted to make sure I had one with a high weight limit on it. A lot of the cheaper umbrella strollers are only good to 25lbs, and he's long since gone by that
The price is pretty high, but you can find a lot of sales online, or wait for someplace like Babies R Us to clearance last years colors and such. I don't think my son actually cares that he's cruising around in a 2006 orange one instead of the latest and greatest.

I tried craigslist first, but the only ones I could find near me were almost the same price as a new one. Go figure.

Jen

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
I'd get a Maclaren if possible. We have the "Volo" which is the most simple model and absolutely love it. I was able to get one on ebay for $40 in excellent condition. It only weighs 7 pounds, folds very small, is easy to push (and carry, if needed), and our kids find it incredibly comfortable (I think because of the sling-like seat).

HTH!

Lex
I definitely agree with the above. I had one for dd2 and it was great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! My son is a big kid so I think we have to shelve the umbrella stroller idea and spend a little bit more for a higher weight capacity as well as something that'll last a little bit longer in terms of durability. I'll definitely check out the Volo. I saw a Quest, the other day and in comparison to the Baby Jogger City Mini that was comparably priced, it seemed that BJCM would be better suited when trying to juggle multiple children (as far as easy to fold and open and such).

Does the Volo work well on the bumpy brick sidewalks here in the city?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.