Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Is it just the concept of teaching with those rods/base unit things?  I am struggling with our math.  We have the math mammoth full curriculum, and it's a GREAT set of basic math practice worksheets but there is nothing interesting and hands on about it.  If I got more unifix blocks could I just basically have the same thing?  DOes math u see have a great teaching resource guide?  I struggle with different ideas and how to make it interesting and make sense.  DS is SO highly capable I just feel like we are not moving as fast because he's bored, frustrated and can't "see" math.</p>

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
<p>I don't know how well spoken I am ;) however, I like that it makes sure the child masters concepts before you move on.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There is some review but I don't think it's tedious. I like having the teacher on the DVD so we can check in when there are new concepts.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I also like that they teach solving for the unknown as early as addition.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've learned a few things about math myself. This is our 5th yr using it and I'm still happy.</p>

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
<p>I like the order and manner in which the concepts are introduced, and the way the review is integrated into each lesson in a way that can be utilized as much or as little as needed.  The unit blocks are helpful, but what really helped us was the way it's laid out, it seems very logical and flows naturally from one concept to the next.  We started with Miquon, and hated it - it seemed chaotic and illogical, made no sense to my son and I could not figure out why it jumped around so much and seemed to have no rhyme or reason.  We tried two different workbook-based programs after that (I forget what they were), and they didn't include enough introduction or explanation for my son's learning style.  It was such a relief when we started using MUS, finally something with some logic to it.</p>

·
Registered
544 Posts
<p>We are doing MUS. We finished Primer and are now doing Alpha. DS is 6. We have never tried another math program, so I have nothing to compare it to.</p>
<p>I like the way MUS is laid out. For example, you do skip counting by 2's before you learn your 2 addition facts. The order that things are introduced seem very logical to me. There are suggestions for games that you can play with the blocks, which DS also likes. We sometimes supplement with an abacus.</p>
<p>If you like the way that Math Mammoth is teaching but need more hands on stuff, you could always buy a base ten set of blocks or even order the MUS blocks, or you could try an abacus. I personally LOVE the abacus and wish I had had one as a child.</p>

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Thank you all for the reviews. I really do think it is worth the investment and I am going to place an order this weekend.  I actually love Math Mammoth for the straight forward worksheets, but  I cannot see sticking with a method DS is so disinterested in. He is  such a logical thinker, so quick at new concepts, he just needs something new and different.  I would love to have MUS and then just plug in a few math mammoth worksheets if and where it's needed.  I also don't like the exact order of MMammoth. I have skipped around but I really think I'm just ready for something that is credible and well rated which I know MUS is.  I could probably tailor what I have and get really creative, but honestly I do that with everything else and I could really use something that is useable "as is." </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts