Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- just got hired and am starting a new job in a week. I saw my work area and it's a gray cube in the middle of other cubes with high dividers near the elevator- basically cold and suffocating and no where near any place I might be able to look out a window, lot's of recycled air. SO having said that do any of you guys have tips on making the area a "happier" place to be? I most concerned about the recycled air- with just me and my computer- that can't be too good for the baby. What do you think - a fan, air filter lots of plants for oxygen etc etc. Any suggestion would be great. Remember it's about a 5' by 5' space with temporary walls so I can't really paint or do anything drastic.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I'm in a grey fabric covered cubby too, in a room that is actually underground (so no windows) that sports a wonderful "do not touch- ceiling contains asbestos" ceiling that "leaks" mystery dust onto our keyboards every night.

My individual cubby has brightly colored cards pinned to the walls (one or two are actual cards from my DH, but most were cards I picked out at the store just because I' like the art and the colors), a few pictures of DD and DH on the back wall (sort of behind my computer), and a few comic strips. The shelf above my computer holds a "librarian action figure" and a pottery bowl filled with seasonal things ("indian" corn right now, but soon it will be pine cones and evergreen branches, and often it holds leaves and feathers I find when walking around campus).

I tried plants but the flourescent lights managed to kill even the spider plant and boston fern so I gave up (much to the relief of plant kind everywhere) so I don't have any great ideas about air quality. I know they make little electric air filters, but I've never priced them out.

I hope you find a way to customize and bring some happy into your work space!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Try a plant or two. I am terrible with plants, but I've had coworkers who kept about six plants for the cube - two at the office and four at home. They'd rotate the office plants every week so none had to live in the office for too long. The one week on, two weeks off rotation seemed to be enough to keep them healthy.

I agree that some simple images that you enjoy, a bowl of potpouri (I don't think I spelled that correctly) in a mild scent, and maybe a personal photo or two in inexpensive frames can make all the difference in the world.

Good luck with your new job!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Plants! Spider plants are pretty easy to keep alive, and they are excellent air cleaners. (There's a book on indoor plants to clean your air--I had it from the library a few years ago.)

I also brought in a full-spectrum "grow light" for my cube back when I was trying to keep a plant alive in a cubicle with no natural light. Simply improving the light you are experiencing can feel wonderful. A less efficient, but "warm" glow from a small incandescent lamp can feel so much more homey.

--willo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.