Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 3 1/2 and DH and I are debating wether or not to get his hearing checked.
DH says "No, I don't want to open those doors that would lead to more testing or classifying him if he did have a problem."
I would like to get peoples ideas on it because I am inclined to take him in.

He says "what" all the time. It could be normal 3 yr old behavior but I'll repeat myself a couple of times and he'll still say what. I'll ask if he heard me and he says "what" again or "no". It has begun to frustrate me and I would like to work with it if it is a hearing issue.

Now on DHs side of the debate, I have partial hearing loss in 1 of my ears and say "what" quite a lot. He could just be copying me.

Anyone got any ideas?
I would appreciate any imput.
Anna

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quilter Mama
DH says "No, I don't want to open those doors that would lead to more testing or classifying him if he did have a problem."
Maybe I don't understand, but why on earth would he not want to find out if your son has a problem? Unidentified problems can lead to real issues for your son, including self-esteem issues. If the problem exists, and there are ways to help, I can't see why diagnosing him would be a bad thing?!

Obviously I'm on the side of "get tested".

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I agree. What's the point of waiting?

A hearing test is painless, quick and simple.

My ds had one at 18 months for a speech delay he was having, and it went very well.

Some types of hearing loss are hereditary. That in combination with what you have described in your son sounds like a good reason to have him tested.

Good luck.

lisa

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
You might want to PM indiegirl about her experiences; her daughter Violet was only recently diagnosed with hearing loss and fitted for hearing aids. She's posted about it in Special Needs.

I second the above; have him tested! Hearing loss is a physical problem, and if undiagnosed and untreated can lead to serious language and cognitive delays. Your son is in a critical language learning stage of his life. If he needs hearing aids, now's the time to get them. It will be much harder to catch up later on on speech and language learning.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think DH is worried that the tests will scare him or make him feel "different". I had the tests done last year and thought they were kinda fun.

My hearing loss is from an inner ear disease called Menieres that is supposedly not herrditery(sp?) and doesn't show up until adulthood or even until you're a senior.

Thanks for all the support I'll have to show this to him since he suggested I ask here.

Anna

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well, I'll approach from the other side....it very well could be that he is mimicking you. Are the times when he answers "what", times when he is engrossed in play or other focus? It could be that he is just not listening. Next time you ask him a question, make sure you have his full attention and see what happens.....
And otoh....if it were my child doing this, I would definitely go have her/him checked
Then you can know for sure and if all is ok, then you can move on to more effective ways to have his full attention and get his full response...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Interesting responses... My 3.5 yr old son does this, too. It has occurred to me that he may have a hearing problem but it also occurred to me that he just doesn't always understand my questions. I haven't noticed it lately but I may get it checked at his next doctor's appointment. If my son had any speech delays I'd be more worried.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DS has no speech delays either, so it's probably nothing. I just have wondered often enough I want to check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts