Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sil suffers from chronic depression and would like to be able to take meds after the birth and to be able to breastfeed. she was told that prozac is not safe to take while breastfeeding. what med is safe to take while pregnant and for breastfeeding. i know she will have a rough road if she goes med free.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Zoloft is the medication of choice for breastfeeding mothers. It is undetectable in breastmilk, and plasma levels in babies whose mothers are nursing are also undetectable.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Zoloft is the medication of choice for breastfeeding mothers. It is undetectable in breastmilk, and plasma levels in babies whose mothers are nursing are also undetectable.

Be careful about wording, though. I know what you mean, but as it's stated in the latest edition of Thomas Hale's (Ph.D) Medications and Mother's Milk, "milk levels were not measured," (p. 865 of the 2008 thirteenth edition). Plasma levels in the breastfed infants was "below the limit of detection." Also note: "the reported dose of sertraline to the infant via milk varied from undetectable (5 of 11 {infants}) to 0.124 mg/day in one infant" (p. 865). As such, the lactational risk level is considered L2 on a scale of L1 to L5 with L1 being the safest. The conclusion of the report states that, "These studies generally confirm that the transfer of sertraline and its metabolite to the infant is minimal, and that attaining clinically relevant plasma levels in infants is remote at maternal doses less than 150 mg/day" (p. 866).

Sorry. I'm sure this really makes me sound like a snot.
I'm really not trying to be...I just know that when I was evaluating whether or not to medicate, I really wanted all the facts. Promise I'm not trying to be snotty....

All in all, Zoloft is one of the safest options we have available today. Is it perfect? No. As a newly breastfeeding mom, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to medicate using Zoloft when I began experiencing PPD. I know that I appreciated someone else reading getting me the reports. I think that it's best - no matter what you're doing - to be certain and research your options.

And be sure to be open and supportive of your SIL. This is a hard time, and I know I felt like a failure when I had to admit something was wrong. ((hugs))

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Yes, but all of the above information still indicates that zoloft is undetectable to non existent in nursing infants. I know you are not trying to be snotty, and I do not take it as such, but sometimes even the tiniest seed of doubt is enough to deter someone who REALLY needs meds from taking them. Meds are scary for some people, especially people with anxiety or OCD. But they are SO helpful to SO many people, and when the risk to baby is so small to none, they are well worth taking.

I have to take other meds for asthma that are L3 and were category 3 while I was pregnant. No ill effects on either child. You have to keep things in perspective... I needed the drugs to breathe, to get air to my babies. Same with depression meds. A mother needs them to live sometimes, to give to her child a perspective on life that is positive. In some ways, that is like air to breathe. It's all necessary for life. So if a mother needs meds, to be a good mother and to function, then they are so well worth it.

Also, there are many studies out there on the effects of a depressed/anxious mother on baby. Having that is SO much worse than having a mother who is medicated, even if SO small of an amount gets to baby.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
A mother needs them to live sometimes, to give to her child a perspective on life that is positive. In some ways, that is like air to breathe. It's all necessary for life. So if a mother needs meds, to be a good mother and to function, then they are so well worth it.
Agreed.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by polishprinsezz View Post
my sil suffers from chronic depression and would like to be able to take meds after the birth and to be able to breastfeed. she was told that prozac is not safe to take while breastfeeding. what med is safe to take while pregnant and for breastfeeding. i know she will have a rough road if she goes med free.
I've taken Prozac during both my pregnancies and nurse both babies on it. Might be a case of "benefits outweigh risks" in my case, though, since I've been on it continuously for so long.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I did tons of research and ended up feeling that only Zoloft or Paxil would be a good alternative for me. But, it's nice to hear other meds have been fine for other moms.

PPD/depression is a serious issue. Your sil is lucky to have you for support.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Zoloft made me manic and plain Paxil is barely helping. I'm still having panic attacks and paranoia. All of my mental issues were under control while on the extended release generic form of Paxil, but my insurance is being cheap and is forcing me to do a trial of Paxil. Different formulations can be an option to check in to as well if one thing works, but not well enough.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3pink1blue View Post
zoloft doesn't work for me. wellbutrin has been my savior. My SIL also takes it. Both of us are nursing babies and haven't had any issues.
No effect on your milk supply?

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I was on Lexapro and although I do not have my Hale's near me to give you his info, I was very happy with it. I had bigger anxiety and OCD issues tho, so that was why Lexapro and not Zoloft.

She could call any LLL leader and they would be able to read her the specifics from Hales.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
When I was making the decision to go on Zoloft, I was questioning my therapist about possible effects on my baby. She said, "None have been reported, but if you're worried, you do have the option of switching to formula." I told her that although I didn't feel absolutely confident that there wouldn't be any effect on the baby, I *was* confident that the known risks of formula outweighed the hypothetical, so far undetected risks of Zoloft during bfing. For me that was an important thing to remember.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.