Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be having a hospital birth and really wanted to have as relaxed an atmosphere as possible. What is considered good laboring music? With 2 prior births I asked dh/Mr music lover to pick me out some music and both times I had none, so now I am turning to the "experts"!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
From my own experience, I wanted 'comfort' music when I was in labour with dd1 (no time for music with my second labour!).

So - I'd suggest anything that you are very familiar with and that you like. For me, funnily enough, it was Billy Joel! I grew up listening to his music, and have always liked it on in the background.

For different people, it will be different music. You'd think that Vivaldi's Four Seasons would be lovely during labour, but when dh switched over to that (we'd brought several classical music tapes), I yelled at him to put Billy Joel back on!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Find something now that you find calming and soothing and begin to listen to it when you are practicing relaxation. I listen to the same gentle classics CD when my dh massages me at night. I did the same with ds2 and when I was ready to listen to it during labor it automatically placed me in a state of relaxation. Behavioral modification, I guess you could say.
If you body does something enough times it doesn't need to have you lead it eventually. KWIM? Especially in a hospital situation where there can be distracting things and distracting people.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I agree with shanetedissac; make it something you've been listening to a lot and have relaxed or gone to sleep to. For me, it was a CD of ocean waves that I listened to every night while going to sleep. I actually put the CD player on "repeat" so it played all night long. I took it with me to the birthing center, but to tell you the truth I cannot actually remember whether we played it or not! :LOL

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm embarassed to admit this, but I listened to the Backstreet Boys. For some reason, their music calms me. Labor and delivery went like a charm.

Definitely take something you're familiar with that soothes you. Don't worry about anyone else.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm going to put on Pure Moods (New Age kind of music) and a soothing old Yanni CD. All music that really relaxes me. Will let you know if it worked!

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
During each of my pregnancies I thought Peter Gabriel's Passion would be perfect during labor, but each time it turned out that the only thing I wanted to listen to (briefly) was grooving music. Once it was Lenny Kravitz, the other time Santana.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.