Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting our new dog the cats have been a little out of sorts. Over the last two weeks they have slowly grown accustom to this new invader and Lucy (the dog) has learned to be respectful of the cats. However, and suprisingly, Blue, our most happy-go-lucky kitty (and our first) has taken shelter in our closet. For about 3 days ow he has been MIA.

Last night was the first night that we tried Lucy in the bathroom and let the cats roam (usually she sleeps on our bed). I found Blue under our bed (when normally he would sleep on our bed, and in fact slept on our bed before Lucy arrived).

*I have to add that last night when I picked Blue up his body felt hot*

So I called Blue and he didn't respond. I had to pick him up from under the bed. His fur has a greasy, messy look and feel and he is pretty lethargic.

I had Kailey bring in a bowl of water and he drank quite a bit. He also ate a little food.

I'm worried.

Luy had kennel cough when we brought her home and three days later we had her checked out and she was prescribed meds for it. We weren't worried about the cats because they stayed clear of her, but now I am worried Blue has it.

Could Blue be experiencing depression?

He was #1 cat and slept on our bed. He has been with us since he was 5 weeks old and is now 15 months old. The two other cats slept elsewhere from the beginning and are not all lovely like Blue is. Salem has been with us since he was 4 months old- he is now 13 months, Shelby since she was 8 months old she is now 11 months.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took Blue into the emergency clinic after mass. He was burning up and this was the second day. His fever was 105.4 when we arrived at the clinic.

He has ear mites and I am guessing an upper respiratory infection (he has a mucusy cough too).

He has to stay overnight to be rehydrated and to get entibiotics.

I am going to treat the two cats and dog this evening (for ear mites).

The total so far is 246 dollars

Our last vet bill for Salem, just a few months ago was over 200 dollars.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called to see how he was doing and the woman who answered the phone said, "Oh she is doing great. We sutured her up and she has a drain tube." I said, her? and then silence. So I jokingly said, oh and you amputated the left leg too? Then I got a giggle. She was looking at the wrong chart.

Blue's fever has went down a little. He is on fluids, been offered food- he refused it and most likely will need antibiotics.

I have to pick him up between 7 and 7:30 tomorrow a.m. since they close at 8. My poor babe.

Remember this is the cat who we have had since he was 4 weeks old. He is 18 months old now (I thought he was 15 for some reason) and STILL nurses on my clothing. I miss him.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I doubt it had anything to do with the dog--it sounds like a major illness that would have happened anyway. Depression/hiding is always a symptom of illness in cats. I am sure the vet will tell you this, but he NEEDS TO EAT. Cats cannot tolerate anorexia very well.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He ate this morning and drank tons.

He might not have wanted to eat in a strange place.

How could he get a major illness? he is a strictly indoor cat, stays away from the dog and has no access to anything outside of our home. Strange, huh?

Now of course I am all paranoid about the other cats catching it.

I was loving on Shelby and thought, "does she feel warm or is it just me?"

I could not afford three sick cats. I mean, like we wouldn't even be able to take them all in. Seriously.

OY!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am so stressed.
We just bought our house and incurred unexpected fees.
I miscalculated on our checking account and our first mortgage payment bounced.
We do not have insurance on the house and won't until the 15th.
I got a speeding ticket and can barely afford the gas (the trip will leave me with 1/4 for the rest of the week) to get up to the attorneys office.
Electricity, internet, water and both car taxes are due (we were able to postpone until the 15th).
I just spent (on a pet credit card) 258 dollars for Blue.
I wrote a bad check for 36 dollars to get him released from the clinic.
He still has a fever and has an IV in his arm.

The clinic said to transfer him to our vet, but I can't. There is no money. Not in savings, or checking, or anywhere.

How do I take the IV out of Blue's arm?

He is eating now.

I want to vomit.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, the clinic did give him two different antibiotics for me to administer.

At 9 I can call our vet to see how to take the IV out. I can't afford to take him in to have them do it.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts

That sounds like such a rough time. I hope kitty does better and that you get things sorted out soon! I can't imagine how stressful it must be.

Is there a way you could contact the clinic? I'd think you would need to tell them the $36 check has a problem. So, they don't cash it, you don't get fees on top of it.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm doing a little research and have found the fever of 105 and below can be treated at home- guess I should have looked earlier.

I can use fans to lower his temperature along with offering cool water.

I suppose unknown fevers in cats are similar to fevers in humans. The body fights infection through elevated bod temperature.

I feel better about that.

He has o cuts or lesions, no upper respiratory infection, his blood work came back negative and the vet said the cause is unknown and sometimes happens with animals.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Christy,
Yes, I just called bawling. They were so kind and said they would hold it without a problem. They will hold it until Thursday. Whew.

I am doing more reading about fevers in cats and am feeling more optimistic. Like Joanna said, the important thing for him to do is EAT. He had some food immediately when we got home and had some water.

I'm more worried about getting that IV out. Ya think I could do it? I want to wait to talk to his vet though. My luck I will make things worse.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the phone with his vet now and they are being pooheads about it. On hold.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

They wouldn't tell me how to take it out, just that if I didn't have the money that I only had the option of taking it out.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, it's out.

The tape however is fused to his skin. Grr!

His fever is now 103. I've turned the A/C on and put him in the bedroom with fresh food and water.

Shelby (our youngest) is obviously upset by the whole ordeal. She and Blue are best buddies.

And next time, I'm not running to the vet unless it's a huge gapping wound. I'll research first and see what I can do.

Sorry for the multi-posting on this thread.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I think you did the right thing--his fever was NOT his only symptom and dehydration can be extremely difficult to treat at home if you don't know how to give him fluids (either IV or subQ). The fluids at the office are probably what made the difference for him. I hope he continues to feel better and to eat.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Glad you got it out! Keep us updated. Try not to second guess yourself, you did what you thought was right, and I hope that he continues to rebound!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I came home after work and of course it is freezing in here and blue feels fine. He was sleeping but when I picked him up his body felt normal and his ears were not warm to the touch.

I gave him his antibiotics.

So stressful! Of course now I walk by each cat and feel whether or no they are hot

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blue's fever has stayed down and he has been eating and drinking. He has however developed a raspy cough. We cannot take him in and I am at a loss. He has been coming out of hiding frequently and has starting talking again to us, he layed on Mark last night to sleep, but you can tell he feels whimpy.

I don't know what to do. He's my first cat and I would gladly give up my others to make him feel better (this won't make him feel better, but this is how much I love this cat).

*sigh*

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Blue's fever has stayed down and he has been eating and drinking. He has however developed a raspy cough. We cannot take him in and I am at a loss. He has been coming out of hiding frequently and has starting talking again to us, he layed on Mark last night to sleep, but you can tell he feels whimpy.

I don't know what to do. He's my first cat and I would gladly give up my others to make him feel better (this won't make him feel better, but this is how much I love this cat).

*sigh*
Well, he's already on antibiotics, right?

I don't see what else they would do for him at the clinic. You could always call them and mention it. It may very well be that he's got some sort of virus which is progressing. If it were me, as long as he seems like he's getting better...eating, no fever, not acting lethargic, I would just watch

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.