Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've "allocated" part of DH's and my tax refund to purchase some herbs and essential oils. But, there are TOO many choices out there and too many books to read on what can be used for what, so I thought I'd ask you all and get some personal experiences/recommendations.

So far, the extent of me using herbs and oils is limited to RRL that I drank when pregnant (and I believe it helped me have my fairly easy 12-hour labor), and the tea tree oil that I use very sparingly in my diaper loads. I overheard a like-minded girl at church talking briefly about grapefruit seed extract so I'd like to know a little more about that.

But my goals are to step lightly at first into this area. Like one of my questions is what else can TTO be used for besides diaper loads and part of wipes solution? What would I use GSE for and how would I use it? What are some other herbs/oils/extracts that would be good for home and body care? Another specific one is what would be some good ingredients to make a good all-purpose disinfecting cleaner? How about for facial care?

Or is there a good book out there that just has the basics? I did look at one book a while back but it made my head spin. I'm a fairly simple person and can only process so much info at a time.
I guess overall, what are your top 5-10 picks for what you want in your house and what do you use them for.

TIA,
Andrea

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Oils - do you mean essential oils or actual oils? I've found that they go hand in hand so...

I like olive oil and unrefined shea. Olive makes a good base to infuse with herbs, has its own antiinflammatory properties and the unrefined shea is a great basic first aid salve/balm all by itself or mixed with herbal infusions &/or eo's, as well as being moisturizing & a good base for natural deodorant - really multifunctional.

Essential oils - lavender, sweet orange, tea tree are three good basics. I like a blend of the orange with a little tea tree in my vinegar cleaning spray. Also have used it in toilet bowl cleaner.(paste of baking soda, water, and a drop or two each of tto and a good liquid soap)

A simple blend of vinegar and a few drops of sweet orange is useful all around the house, and won't streak mirrors or glass. Doesn't take much eo either, so a small bottle lasts a long time.

Another way to disinfect, like for cutting boards & kitchen counters, is to spray on vinegar, then from a separate bottle, spray on hydrogen peroxide. This has been shown to be as effective as bleach.

I don't do a lot in the realm of herbs yet. Chamomile for tea and infusions, calendula for infusions, RRL, is about all I use right now.

GSE I have not gotten into after reading studies that showed the reason for the apparent anti-bacterial properties was that the samples were contaminated with a disinfectant. Unless newer studies come out that show it really is effective, I would not rely on it to preserve freshness or kill bacteria in any water-based substance. I say stick with TTO.

hth!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Heh. Those would be my recommendations as well. Tea tree, orange, lavender, and rosemary EOs are 99% of what I use, both for cleaning products and for bath products. My new favorite thing is making cat box litter freshener--just baking powder with a little rosemary and lavender EO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.