Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out recently that Owen's dad gave his new girlfriend (fiancee??) *my* engagement ring
I knew I should have kept it and pawned it
It seriously doesn't bother me other than it just goes to show how replaceable a woman is to him. "Eh, that one left me but this one is standing nearby.... hey- want to get married?"
: I have no idea if this chick knows it was my ring but if that were me I'd be pissed off! That's like him saying "Hey baby, I'm too cheap to buy you a ring but ya wanna wear this one of my ex's?"
: At least he didn't give it to her 2 days before Christmas (2 days before Christmas will be 4 years since he gave it to me).

Eh, it's just a ring. A piece of metal (with an itty bitty rock
:
). I got the better end of the deal, and he's sleeping on my lap right now

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
Eh, it's just a ring. A piece of metal (with an itty bitty rock
:
). I got the better end of the deal, and he's sleeping on my lap right now

I would be
!!! OMG it's your own freakin ring. Granted it doesn't get used anymore, but it's all about the symbolism. Id' be super pissed if I found out my fiance couldn't even buy me and personalize my own engagement ring and gave me his ex fiances!!! That's just horrible!! Then again... i know his budget is super tight with all those "other" kiddos that he sees all the time (that technically aren't his when he can't even support the one he already has) and he broke the bank getting Owen a .50 cent coloring book a whole 2 years ago. He just had no time to save up
: Just trying to lighten up the mood
:

·
Registered
314 Posts
My brother gave his wife the ring that he had given to his first fiance. He was too cheap to buy another ring. I always wondered if his wife knew it originally belonged to someone else. They've been married 20+ years so it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissSavannahsMommy View Post
Just trying to lighten up the mood
:
Lighten away
Like I said- I got the better end of the deal so I'm not upset. I find it slightly disturbing that he would give it to her, but whatever. Anyone want to take bets on how long this lasts? I say they never actually get married and their "relationship" doesn't even make it another year. I say that within a few months after she has this baby she "sees the light" and leaves him (oh wait, that was me
).

·
Registered
666 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
I got the better end of the deal, and he's sleeping on my lap right now

That's the sweetest thing!!
:

Its hard to tell whether to be insulted or amused... It's insulting because engagment rings are brought (Or meant to be...) for an individual... So despite the fact you gave it back, it was YOUR ring
: He brought it for YOU. But then it's kinda amusing because giving her your ring makes it look like he couldn't care less about her... I mean nothing says "Lets spend the rest of our lives together" like an engagment ring that he already gave to someone else with love...

And I agree - You DEFINATLY got the better end if the deal

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
That ring will live on! He'll be handing it down for many years to come if he continues acting the way that he does. The nerve!!! I'm glad that you're not with him, Steph!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLotus View Post
I wonder how many people he'll try to give that ring to?
Maybe he could get it engraved one day with the first initial of every woman he gives it to!

Sheesh. At least he could have sold it and bought her a new one with the money. I'd be pi$$ed if I were her and found out it was originally intended for someone else!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
How tacky. I'd be really insulted if I knew I was wearing a ring that belonged to someone else once (unless it was a family heirloom situation). It just goes to show how much of a winner he is.

I would *really* want to say something if I ever ran into her. I know it's petty, but I don't think I'd be able to bite my tongue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I would *really* want to say something if I ever ran into her. I know it's petty, but I don't think I'd be able to bite my tongue.
Steph: Oh wow, that's such a gorgeous engagement ring. Congrats!
G/F: Thank you... ____ said he picked it out especially for me
Steph: Really did he now?
G/F: Yep, isn't it so romantic
Steph: No, not really b/c that's my old engagement ring
G/F: *look of shock and utter disbelief!*

*snort*

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsChatsAlot View Post
Maybe he could get it engraved one day with the first initial of every woman he gives it to!
We had actually talked about getting something engraved on it (something he always used to say to me. It was tacky, and I guarantee he's probably saying it to her). We never went through with getting it engraved, though now I'm kinda wishing I had left my mark on it

The small, childish, petty part of me wants to make sure it gets back to her that that was MY ring. But, I'll be the bigger person and let this go. But I swear to G*d if they get married in the same place we had talked about there will be some ass kicking. OT but funny story about the place we talked about getting married... it was in some small park on a lake in the next town over. I'd been there a few times, thought it looked nice, but never knew what it was called (knew the name of the lake, had no idea what the name of the park was). So anyway, Owen is born and I give him that name (no real reason, it just stood out to me that *that* was his name). Months later I decided to take him there. Imagine my suprise when we pull up and see this

Totally didn't plan that, didn't have any idea I did that, but kinda neat anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts