Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am curious, does anyone know what the statistic is for inductions in the US? as far as hospital births.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm seeing rates around <a href="http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Abstract/2002/07000/Rising_Rates_of_Labor_Induction__Present_Concerns.24.aspx" target="_blank">20% nationwide</a>, but that is <b>much</b> lower than what I see locally. Almost everyone is induced here. I'd guess around 80%. The article I linked mentions that rates vary by region and that the ~20% figure is a national average.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That article says that inductions doubled between 1990 and 1998. I would guess that they have AT LEAST doubled again since then. Out of the 10 or so births amongst my friends in the past few years, the only non-induced ones were the scheduled c-sections and one birth center birth.

·
Registered
608 Posts
All of them, if you judge by the behavior of the receptionist at one of our area hospitals.<br><br>
I arrived with a client well into labor. As she was checking in, she had to take a break for a contraction, and the receptionist FREAKED. "OMG ARE YOU IN LABOR????", she screamed. "Um, yes, that's why I am here" said the mom calmly. "No one EVER shows up in labor here!"<br><br>
Uh, yeah. that is why the c/s rate at that hospital is almost 50% and the epidural rate is over 90%

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I am pretty sure that the average is around 40%, and that is definately what I am seeing at the local hospitals here.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
In New York State, in 2008, 19.5% of women had an induction by medicine, and 12% by amniotomy. 24% were augmented. State CS rate is 36% so I don't think its induction rate would be spectacularly below average.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts