Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about other's experiences with extractions and what they and their dentist chose to do for pain, etc. I am thinking that we will go this route, but wanted to be informed about what is available, what others liked, disliked, heard negative and positive about, etc.<br><br>
I am so glad we are all here for each other, 'cause this has been an ongoing battle of research and emotions for me!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
We needed three extractions on the top front teeth last year. The year before, we had already needed a top tooth pulled because it chipped to the gumline.<br><br>
Anyway...last year, we had the three teeth pulled, and my son had oral sedation (Versed) in the office. He got really loopy and I carried him back to the room. The dentist gave him laughing gas and he stared at the ceiling and talked about monkeys flying. The dentist gave him a few shots of novacaine and he did complain a little bit...with a few grunts. The dentist then pulled the three teeth in a matter of a few minutes and my son did not cry nor did tears come to his eyes. He was uncomfortable with the action going on in his mouth (I do not believe he was in pain but let's face it, it sucks to have people working in your mouth period), and he did make a few protesting grunts, but nothing like trauma we have previously been through with the first extraction (we tried Cloral Hydrate (sp?) with a different dentist and it had NO effect whatsoever, and he freaked out during the whole thing the year before.)<br><br>
As we left the dentists office, Kalob asked if he could come back again. He never expressed any memory, negative or otherwise, of the procedure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts