Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When DS was born, I packed away my pregnancy books during our home renovation (yes, we know how to live - renovation and newborns mix well). Now, I can't find them. Not that I have tried really hard, since I wasn't all that enamored with them anyway. But, I do like the idea of following the development and reminding myself of all the things to do and whatnot. So, if anyone has a recommendation, I would love some ideas.

Thanks.
Dinah

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your pregnacy week by week
Glade B Curtis, MD OB/Gyn and judith Schuler
ISBN 1-55561-260-1

You can read week by week it tells you about your babies development and your own. Shows little pictures and really is open (not one sided)
and not too much $$$$$ and not scary like people say everything to expect while expecting

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The Pregnancy Book

and

The Birth Book (both Sears)
Immaculate Deception
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
The Birth Book and the Pregnancy Book - Sears

I can't remember the name of this other one, but it was a great encyclopedia type reference book that I actually got free through Farmer's Insurance. It's packed away downstairs, but I may drag it up soon since we are currently TTC. It had great pictures of each month's development.

Even though it is about birth, not pregnancy development, I really liked Birthing from Within.

Oh, and another one was called A Child is Born, I think. Great pictures.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I also liked
A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health
by Dean Raffelock
focus on what to eat, supplemets and herbs

The Birth Partner
by Penny Simkin

Positive Pregnancy Fitness
by Sylvia Klein Olkin
Relaxation, breating, stretching, yoga etc.. I liked the suggestions for what to do when... you have a backache etc..
Enjoy your pregnancy
Kathryn

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i think ts called "the secret life of the unborn child"
really cool and very natural.
my fav birth book so far is "birthing from within"
and of course both inna may gatskin books

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
My favorite last time (and so far the only one I've looked at this time, since I tossed all the bad ones from last time, lol!) is "Conception, Pregnancy and Birth" by Miriam Stoppard. It's published by DorlingKindersly, so it's got amazing pictures and, since it's british, does not offer many of the stupid hang-ups American Dr's have. She covers homebirth and hospital birth equally and circumcision is not even MENTIONED! Anywhere!! All the pics of baby boys are INTACT
(and stupid me mentioned that to a mom at DS's pre-school today, ugh, her dad is a urologist, I almost had to run away!!)

Anyway, it's a pretty cool book, DS digs it, too. He keeps asking DH & I to read the "baby book" with him. He loves telling us about the "mumbilical" cord, lol!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
With my last pregnancy, I couldn't get enough of "Birthing From Within". I wish I would have known about this book w/my first. It is such a powerful book IMHO and looks at pregnancy and labor differently than other books I had read.

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Gentle Childbirth Choices by Barbara Harper - I loved that book.

And I'll be practicing my
HypnoBirthing again (audio tapes) since it helped me achieve an 18 hour painless labor in the hospital. It really helped me to A) enjoy my last month of pregnancy (feeling positive and empowered) and B) make me avoid the epidural.

New Way Childbirth - I am tempted to buy these next time. They promise better bonding during pregnancy (something I'm real interested after I read Verny's book "Secret Life of the Unborn Child" when DS was 3 months old.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
The Pregnancy Book and The Birth Book both by Dr. Sears

The Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer

A Child is Born by Lennart Nilsson (Amazingly beautiful book, full of stunning pictures.. the book was published in 1967, but the pictures are timeless!)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I second many of the books you all have mentioned. I'm a doula, so I've read my share of pregnancy books. It takes a really good one to keep my interest! I've found it hard to read too much about pregnancy now that I'm pregnant, though.

One I haven't seen anyone mention is Peggy O'Mara's new book Having a Baby, Naturally. I've been reading it as I go through this pregnancy and enjoy it. It's not heavy on anatomy and what's going on with your body, though. But it's got lots about the body's ability to birth, finding a supportive provider, etc. It's a nice alternative.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.