Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think the Bradley book had a nice checklist of questions. Oh and the Henci Goer book, The Thinking woman guide to a better birth may also help guide you to choose the right provider.

Doreen

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just had my home birth mw consult last week, here are some questions that I asked her...didn't have time to get to all of them and some of them just came up in conversation but here they are. Obviously some may not apply to you if you're not planning a homebirth.

Tell me about the last woman who had to transfer to the hospital.
Tell me about some of your favorite births.
Tell me about a scary birth.

What would risk me out of a homebirth?

At what point do you become concerned that baby is "post-dates"? How do you handle that?

What routine prenatal tests/ultrasound do you require?
How do you manage blood pressure issues?

How do you handle PROM?
Do you routinely AROM?
Vaginal exams late pregnancy and in labor?
How do you handle a suspected breech baby?
What kind of monitoring do you do in labor?

What emergency equipment and medicinals do you bring to the birth?

How do you feel about natural induction methods?

What pharmaceutical drugs, homeopathics and/or herbs do you use prenatally
and at births?

When will you come during labor? What happens if my labor goes on for days?

Do you have time limits for pushing? Placenta?

What is your experience with malpositioned babies? Success turning them?

Insurance in my situation?
How does your fee work if I risk out of homebirth? Or transfer?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks guys. Those are great questions. I am planning on going to a FSBC for a VBAC w/#2. I am so scared. I know it is going to hurt. LOL But any thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
531 Posts
These are wonderful questions! I'm just making up my list of questions for our midwife interviews tomorrow and Wednesday. I had to incorporate many of these! I certainly hope they set aside enough time to answer two pages worth of things! ~grin~

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLMama092485
I am planning on going to a FSBC for a VBAC w/#2. I am so scared. I know it is going to hurt. LOL But any thanks a lot for your help.
Angela, if I were you I'd share this with my midwife and see how they respond. For me personally, I was more interested in the way the midwife related to me then getting a long list of questions answered. My fear is a 45 minute labor and unplanned UC delivery (DD#1 came FAST), and how the midwives we interviewed responded to this was a BIG factor in our choice (and feeling really excited about the wonderful person we found).

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I knew there was things I def wanted and def didn't want in relation to my care and my labor/delivery. I always go post dates so thats a concern for me. If I had never gone post dates I wouldn't even think to ask about it though. Things that are really important to you need to be addressed. I was also able to eliminate a mw based on how she responded to one of my birth stories. I didn't want a nervous birth attendent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.