Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So, after tons of reading and research I think we have decided on trying for a domestic adoption.  Can some of you  who have btdt give me advice on what questions to ask a potential agency and what would be your "red flagss?"</p>

·
Registered
809 Posts
<p>Ideally you would know someone who has recently adopted from the agency and have them recommend the agency to you because of their great experience.  I would want to know if you lose any fees if a "match" falls through, I would want an agency that has a sliding fee scale based on income-not have the fees based on race, I would want a non-profit, I would want to know how many families they have waiting and how many babies they place a year, I would want to know approximately racial breakdown, I would want good through training, I would want to know the average wait, and one thing I really liked about our agency is that they encourage the birthparents to wait 10 days to sign their rights away even though they could sign at 72 hours.  I really wanted to know that they had time to make their decision as I have given birth to two children and the first couple days are so hard physically, emotionally, etc. and that wasn't an adoption situation.  Best of luck!  I have found that agencies vary greatly.</p>

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
<p>I agree -- try to find others who have adopted recently and ask for recommendations about the agency. Put the word out -- you'd be surprised at how many people you know "know someone" who adopted. I got so many referrals when we were going through the process, and they were all strangers who knew people I barely knew (like people at work, moms at the gym, etc.). Those referrals gave me even more names of people THEY knew to talk to.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And you may also want to try contacting your local foster care agencies -- they might be able to point you to local adoption agencies or private resources as well. (We found ours that way; Catholic Social Services has an Infant Adoption program here and lots of other places. And you don't have to be Catholic.)</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts