Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our children go to our local public schools which are wonderful. However, they are covering so much material and often, I feel like they don’t have the chance to go deep on a particular concept or perhaps they just need more time on it. I notice this when we do homework together. I also feel there should be more opportunity for projects where they can be truly creative and see where their thinking goes. I know there is tutoring, Kumon, etc but other than that, I haven’t found a great way to supplement what they are learning at school with the right things at home. I have purchased workbooks, etc but things are always changing so it is hard to stay on top of current needs and also make it fun.

Is this a problem for others?

If so, what products/services have you found out there to help?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
In our homeschooling the "supplements" are the education because they're explored deeply enough that the Three Rs learning has flowed out of them. But what has worked for us probably isn't helpful to you, because it's based on my kids' interests not yours, and because my kids have days and weeks and years in which to explore them.

In your situation I would look to Project-Based Homeschooling (book and website by Lori Pickert) as a general approach that you could layer onto schooling and onto your kids' interests. I know it says homeschooling in the title, but the approach can easily be applied by families whose kids go to school. It's about identifying, supporting and exploring interests in a child-driven manner, and it encourages creativity and depth.

Miranda

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Our children go to our local public schools which are wonderful. However, they are covering so much material and often, I feel like they don’t have the chance to go deep on a particular concept or perhaps they just need more time on it. I notice this when we do homework together. I also feel there should be more opportunity for projects where they can be truly creative and see where their thinking goes. I know there is tutoring, Kumon, etc but other than that, I haven’t found a great way to supplement what they are learning at school with the right things at home. I have purchased workbooks, etc but things are always changing so it is hard to stay on top of current needs and also make it fun.

Is this a problem for others?

If so, what products/services have you found out there to help?
The public library. We check out books, DVDs, go to lectures, etc. Since my son is interested in history, we go to museums, historical sites, events, reenactments. When my dds were children, we went to art gallery openings and receptions, art museums.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer that. Everything that we do is a part of their education, none of it is a supplement. I guess some would see my daughters horse riding lesson as a supplement, but to me that is just another facet of what we do. The last thing I would do is purchase workbooks, haven't they had their fill of that at school? I would look into living books, stories that intertwine facts. Read those at bedtime. That way they get quality time with something that is both educational and interesting without requiring them to do more work. I love those kinds of books for history, but there are even books like this on maths. http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/LITmenu.htm
If you look through the links there you should find lots of books. I usually look books up on Amazon first since there are often reviews.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A variety of resources is important as it adds to the variety of the learning experience. Try lots of different resources and see which your child prefers. Check out the local library, they'll have plenty of books for fun as well as ones with focused learning activities. Try physical things like number blocks, boardgames like Scrabble or Words Up!, things that bring a tactile component to the learning. Try educational software to bring in more technology, edalive.com has a a lot of different styles and has free demos which always helps. There are just so many aspects of learning that the question of what resources really is massive!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having a variety is definitely important but also knowing your child's learning style. I like to mix and match the types of resources that I have to keep my students entertained in what they are learning. Among the websites that I use one of my favorites would have to be Beestar. First off it is free so any teacher would enjoy that. There is an abundance of worksheets for different grades which is extremely helpful since my students have a wide range of levels. I typically assign some worksheets for them to work at home/during the weekend and I can check their progress from home. It is really helpful also with the gifted and talented section that they just introduced recently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts