Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm cautiously expecting twins. Still early but I need to find a care provider. What should I be looking for? What questions should I ask? I know I want to ask about under what circumstances s/he supports vaginal delivery but what else is there to know? I would have otherwise been planning a home birth so this is a big shift for me. So far I've found a great doctor but he's far away. I have a top notch teaching hospital much closer but I really worry that the doctors in the practice won't be as supportive of vaginal delivery. I've had one unmedicated birth, delivered by midwives in a hospital. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would find someone who will discuss anything and everything with you, as with twin pregnancies a lot of questions pop up. I would ask:
What is typical procedure with twins for them? Such as: epidural, delivering in operating room, vaginal delivery and baby positions (ask if they will deliver twin B breech if twin A is vertex)
Find out how common cesareans with twins are for that doctor, ask how often they do twin deliveries...basically try to get a feel for if they are more of a step back and let nature happen kind of doctor or a gung-ho intervention kind of doctor.
Congrats on your babies!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would find someone who will discuss anything and everything with you, as with twin pregnancies a lot of questions pop up. I would ask:
What is typical procedure with twins for them? Such as: epidural, delivering in operating room, vaginal delivery and baby positions (ask if they will deliver twin B breech if twin A is vertex)
Find out how common cesareans with twins are for that doctor, ask how often they do twin deliveries...basically try to get a feel for if they are more of a step back and let nature happen kind of doctor or a gung-ho intervention kind of doctor.
Congrats on your babies!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on your babies!

Thank you so much @MoonWomb! This is very helpful! Still feeling overwhelmed & worried (I had 3 miscarriages before this pregnancy) so I still haven't called any OBs but I think I will try to find someone next week--I have a scan scheduled with my RE on Monday & I'll be 9 weeks at that point. Thanks again & I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions!! It's all sinking in & is overwhelming!

Reactions: MoonWomb

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you so much @MoonWomb! This is very helpful! Still feeling overwhelmed & worried (I had 3 miscarriages before this pregnancy) so I still haven't called any OBs but I think I will try to find someone next week--I have a scan scheduled with my RE on Monday & I'll be 9 weeks at that point. Thanks again & I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions!! It's all sinking in & is overwhelming!

How did your scan go? It is way overwhelming, I totally understand. You can message me anytime, my di/di boys are already here and 4.5 months old. Time flies so fast, I feel like I just found out! Haha. My advice stems from my not having asked the right questions. My OB didn't explain anything to me really and didn't really have conversations with me, it sucked. ANOTHER GOOD QUESTION (STATEMENT?): do you want to hold each baby after it's born? Make sure your OB knows. Because for some godforsaken reason I didn't get to hold baby A when he came out even though he was perfectly healthy. I'll probably come up with more questions at some point, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts

How did your scan go? It is way overwhelming, I totally understand. You can message me anytime, my di/di boys are already here and 4.5 months old. Time flies so fast, I feel like I just found out! Haha. My advice stems from my not having asked the right questions. My OB didn't explain anything to me really and didn't really have conversations with me, it sucked. ANOTHER GOOD QUESTION (STATEMENT?): do you want to hold each baby after it's born? Make sure your OB knows. Because for some godforsaken reason I didn't get to hold baby A when he came out even though he was perfectly healthy. I'll probably come up with more questions at some point, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have no idea why my posts are posting twice, by the way

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, thank you @MoonWomb, for checking in on me. That's very kind. Unfortunately, the scan was not good for twin a. Twin a had no heartbeat & displayed some early markers of a chromosomal abnormality. We are heartbroken. Twin b looked very good--strong heartbeat & moving a lot. So now we are in a waiting game. I am hoping that I do not miscarry twin a or that if I do that twin b remains strong & healthy. I saw a MFM the day after the scan who really scared me--she said it was likely that if I miscarry one I will miscarry both! Everything I read online though says chances are twin b would likely be fine, especially in my scenario, where the twins are or were di/di. The fact that I was carrying twins was so unexpected but we were so excited. It's been a difficult week with many emotional ups & downs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh, thank you @MoonWomb, for checking in on me. That's very kind. Unfortunately, the scan was not good for twin a. Twin a had no heartbeat & displayed some early markers of a chromosomal abnormality. We are heartbroken. Twin b looked very good--strong heartbeat & moving a lot. So now we are in a waiting game. I am hoping that I do not miscarry twin a or that if I do that twin b remains strong & healthy. I saw a MFM the day after the scan who really scared me--she said it was likely that if I miscarry one I will miscarry both! Everything I read online though says chances are twin b would likely be fine, especially in my scenario, where the twins are or were di/di. The fact that I was carrying twins was so unexpected but we were so excited. It's been a difficult week with many emotional ups & downs.

I'm so sorry :( A friend had this happen and successfully carried her twin B to 40 weeks, and she did have bleeding/miscarriage of twin A. Hope things go well for you.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm so sorry :( A friend had this happen and successfully carried her twin B to 40 weeks, and she did have bleeding/miscarriage of twin A. Hope things go well for you.

Thank you so much @MoonWomb. It's been confusing & trying emotionally but things are calming down. Twin B is doing great & Twin A is still with me, though starting to be reabsorbed. What a roller coaster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts