Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ds was about 2 months old he was getting rashes and had tons of green poop, along with block feeding I eliminated dairy and eggs from my diet. Most of his rash went away quite quickly but the poop stayed the same. About a month later I started having little bits of dairy and eggs and he didn't get the same big rash that he used to. (He's always had a bit of a rash BTW) So now we have started solids...and almost everything gives him a large rash around his mouth within an hour of eating it. They are: sweet potato, banana, barley cereal, green beans...and avocado made him throw up (a lot
) Apples and watermelon seem to be fine. His poops are usually fine, occasionally green.

So I'm thinking maybe I should have done more of an elimination diet in the beginning, because he might be reacting to something from the breastmilk. So should I stop solids and go back to EBM and do a complete elimination diet?
The fact that he gets a rash around his mouth almost instantanious after eating banana makes me think it's the banana.
He doesn't seem bothered by the things that give him a rash...he doesn't seem extra fussy or gassy.
Should I keep trying foods that give him a rash, or stop?

Should I talk to a nutritionalist about this? Or a ND? Who is an expert on allergies in babies? Are there any books you can recommend.

Please help me...

Dawn

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
personally i'd stop solids, go back to ebf, go back on the successfull elimination diet and make an appointment with an allergist.

ds is 3 and gets a rash around his mouth from anything with citric acid so we avoid it.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
at 2 months it very possibly could have been a lack of hindmilk, perhaps he was getting too much foremilk, not nursing long enough on one side or not nursing properly? Have you seen a lactation consultant or LLL?

does he have thrush at all? is his mouth coated in white?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I went through the green poops & allergy elimination issues with my dd, too. Still avoiding dairy, wheat, corn, egg, and several more...

But about the solids... I would suggest going stopping the rash causing foods. And introducing things slowly. You can try a smear of a new food on his cheek and watch it for a few hours. If it causes a rash, I'd skip the food for now. If okay, then go ahead and try it.

As you guessed, there may also be something that you're eating that's troubling him, too. If you want to avoid the whole
: of an elimination diet for you plus for him, you could see someone for allergy testing. A naturopath could do muscle strenght testing or vega testing for allergies. A western md (allergist/immunologist) would do skin testing.

I'm on holidays right now and don't have my regular links/resources with me. Good luck, HTH.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I got some really helpful phone consults from an IBCLC who helped me to manage my oversupply issues as well as coached me through an elimination diet to identify offending foods. She is pretty knowledgeable about diet/breastfeeding/gut issues and she would be good to talk to. I'll PM her info to you.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The book, "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp is an excellent resource on food allergies. I would avoid regular allergy testing (skin test), as it is highly inaccurate at this young age. Also, definately stop the foods that are causing a negative reaction, your son & yourself. This book will help you w/the elimination diet & pinpointing the causes of the allergies. Good luck. It is a long road, but so worth it when you figure it all out.

There is an allergy sub-forum in the Health & Healing forum that has a lot of great info & supportive moms.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Dawn,
I'm really partial to homeopathy, esp. for babes; it works so well. I can give you the number of Bohdan's homeopath who has helped him out with food sensitivies and undescended testes (which descended after a remedy). If cost is an issue, I can give you the number of my homeopath who is a student and is very reasonable.

I have also seen NDs for food sensitivities over the last 10 yrs. and they have way more knowledge than nutritionists. NDs study how reactions occur in the body, etc.. So avoiding common foods is always a good start, and will help your gut too. Homeopathy will get to the root of the problem and heal it. NDs try this approach, but in my experience, you just end up avoiding foods forever, waiting for your body to tolerate them again. Moreover, NDs cost way more than homeopaths.

HTH and good luck! pm if you need to.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks for all the great info. Mimi I'd love the number of the student ND.

I've decided to stop solids for a bit with Cayden...he was only having a taste of something once a day anyway
and I'm back off dairy and eggs, and hopefully that works cuz then it's wheat...
: ack!

Dawn

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Before you do all the elimination stuff are you sure it's not a latch/breastmilk issue?

You might want to check that first.

I say that because my dd had a rash on her cheek for a year and I did everything, only to find out she was reacting to fabric softener in the sheets....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.