Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dog got out in the back yard yesterday around 5:30. She chased a rabbit, so I brought her in right away. Two hours later, dd2 noticed a newborn rabbit on our deck. We assumed dead. Then we found another in the garden, near a nest. The nest was not there in the morning - dd1 would have found it when she was checking for dog poop.

Both babies were still breathing - one still had blood on him, but no sign of mom. We moved both back into the nest (without touching them) and left them. This morning there is only one there (the dog has NOT been out). We are trying to avoid the backyard. It's now 11:30, and there is still only one baby, still breathing. How long can it survive? I'm leaning towards letting nature take its course (there is no way we are keeping it as a pet), but the kids keep checking out the window for it. I am assuming mom took the other one during the night - there is no sign of violence in the yard.

What do I do?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Leave it alone. Mom rabbits only feed babies twice a day, so don't expect to see her around. There is almost no chance of saving genuine newborns--I've tried many times.

·
Premium Member
45,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks. I didn't know about the twice a day. So I guess as long as we keep out of the backyard it should be okay. Maybe mom will have the sense to move this one too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.