Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking a lot about this recently. I'm planning on leaving my job when I have the new DB, and getting the few credits I'd need to be a school counselor (classes are later afternoon/evening to accommodate teachers, so no need for child care until my practicum). It will probably take me about 18 months to do the program, so I'd be certificated and hopefully find a job in the fall of 2007, when DS is 4 1/2 and the new baby is 1 1/2.

Right now, DS goes to a wonderful daycare center/preschool full-time. It's a big box center, but we're very happy with it. He really enjoys playing with the other children, learning new things, doing art projects, etc. I don't think I totally want to pull him out of a structured environment when the new baby comes just because I'd be home - I think he'd be a bit bored and frustrated at home with me and a teeny-tiny nursling full-time. So I'm thinking I'll do preschool 3 mornings/week. I guess my first question is whether I'm reading this right and it's the best thing to do at all.

My second question is, do I leave him in his current setting and just cut back the hours to the three mornings/week (assuming they'd let me, which I think they would); or go to one of the actual preschools in town, where he would know some children, but not know the routine, etc. I'm thinking it might be too big of a change right after the new baby comes; plus that means he'd be in the preschool for 18 months, and then have to go back to the DCP for 1 year before starting kindergarten. So I'm leaning towards just staying with his current center on a reduced schedule (morning times when they do "preschool", rather than afternoons when it's naps and free play).

Sorry this has turned into a novel, I'd love some feedback if anyone has some.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If you and he are happy with preschool, then I would definitely not "take that away from him" just because you are home with new baby. He'll probably welcome the break and the attention he gets there, plus it will be a godsend to you as well! You might want to experiment a bit with the schedule, but the 3 mornings a week sound like a good place to start. You may find that 5 days are easier for a consistant schedule, but maybe not.

Unless there is some reason to change centers, I'm not sure why you would. If you do, I would do it sooner rather than later, so there aren't so many transitions at once. Having changed preschools with my DS, I can say that I would never recommend it unless you really have to. We were all very unhappy at preschool 1, so moving was good, but it was still really hard on DS. It took almost a year before he stopped begging and crying about old preschool, even though he didn't like it there! He missed his friends, he missed his teacher... It wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts

I'd also say keep him in it if they are open to you switching to part time. We had dd in a home daycare from about age 1-2, and she really struggled with leaving it. Transitions are hard at this age!

And the transition you'll be going through, I'm sure you know, will probably be pretty tough on you, too, and I've heard so many moms wish they had one on one time with their second babe.

I think the whole long range plan you have set up sounds very exciting!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, things have changed a bit in the past 24 hours...I lost my job, so we won't have the opportunity to save for the new baby like I thought we would. However, the current DCP seems willing to do whatever we want. I still think I need to check with soem of the smaller preschools just for pricing now - but if it's in the same ballpark, he's going to stay where he is. Thanks for everyone's response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.