Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there-

i'm a very active hiker/walker, and i rely heavily on fitness for my pregnant health (inside and out). i have been keeping a routine of 5-6 miles/day, but last night, my heel started really hurting. i am having trouble walking on it today. [i think i have worn out my shoes, to be honest
]

perhaps in good fortune, my husband accidentally took the jogging stroller with him to work today, so i couldn't go out walking until at least this afternoon.

anyone have advice for what to do in the meantime? i'm the sort of person who normally just "works through" these sort of things (sometimes not wisely), and knowing how much i NEED this exercise to keep me going right now, i don't want to make a dumb move. do you think i should sit on my butt this morning/afternoon and ice it, perhaps heading out to walk later?

i've GOT to get back out there!!! (anxious, restless, exercise-hungry mamma here!)

thanks for any ideas,
hcm

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I'm wondering if it is a plantar fascia injury. Sounds like it from what you said. I'd google it if you don't know what it is.

Those can be a PAIN to cure, ugh, I even hate thinking about it. My DH battled one off and on for months. Multiple times.
: Shoes, running and weight gain can really impact/cause it.

If it were me I'd be icing it and taking anti-inflammatory drugs (like ibuprophen) for a week or two. Then, I'd slowly try gradually increasing your walking again. But I caught in there that you're pregnant, so I don't think you could take anything.

If you don't know what it is, it is a good idea to consider going to a doctor as well.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i did a google search on "heel pain" first thing this morning, and i was most disheartened by what i read. not a lot of good news. i'm hoping that i've just bruised it for now, and that i haven't done any serious damage (but i guess we'll see- i've been pushing myself pretty hard lately, but haven't had any pain till now).

i tried icing it a few times today, and did my best to stay off of it, but my 2 toddlers had other plans for my time. however, tonight i am feeling a *bit* better in the foot, so maybe that's a good sign.

DH did me the favor of dragging the exercycle down from the attic this evening, and i was able to log 16 or 17 miles on that puppy, which helped me feel a little better. but this not getting to exercise thing is making me crazy. i hope that after a few days on the bike and taking it easy on the heel, i'll be able to get back out there.

i really don't know how i'd make it through the rest of this pregnancy without the ability to hike or walk. i would surely go mad!

peace,
hcm

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
please let me know how you like your strassburg sock- i'm quite interested. i'd rather do anything "natural" than find myself needing medical intervention!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
are you using an ice pack or an ice bath? I have a history of heel pain - have a spur on one side, plantar fasciitis and arthritis on the other. Ice packs didn't do diddly for me. Ice baths, as uncomfortable as they are, worked alot better. Just remember: Cold, burn, ache, numb - take it out before you hit the numb phase and frostbite sets in. If you have access to a chiro or pt, see if you can get some therapeutic ultrasound done on your heel... people that I know who've had it done have gotten relief for >1month with a single 5 minute treatment.
Last suggestion is to massage your feet (or have someone do it for you) every morning and night. Hope it heals soon.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
HardCore--I think it'll be useful. It's only one sock/pkg. I find it bugs me slightly so I end up taking it off during the night. But, I've used it about 3 nights and while my foot isn't dancing w/joy, it's not stressed either, kwim?

i think my problem is slight in the grander scheme of things and I have found in the past that if I'm conscientious about doing yoga foot stretches everyday, I'm fine. I'm usually lazy so have an issue. I feel like the strassburg sock makes my foot stretch for a few hours/night.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, ladies! i'm so happy to get lots of comments on my first time here in this forum. i feel very welcome

i'm glad to report that the heel is significantly better this morning. every time i woke up last night, i'd flex my toes (up towards my knee), and that felt good. i'm going to spend today taking it easy on it, too. DH just took the kids to the park, and i'm headed to the couch with my ice pack. (yes, i am using a traditional ice pack for now. didn't even have one as of yesterday- i was using a bag of frozen vegetables!
)

i spent last night in my pair of new jogging shoes, and they felt SO GOOD on my feet. i don't know why i thought it was okay to wear the old shoes as long as i did. maybe i'll save them for dirty yardwork, but i'll never head back on the trail with them.

i'll keep up the exercycle for now (i'd like to do 20 miles today), and see if i can't get back on my feet in a few more days.

i will definitely hold onto this thread, and check out some of those other therapies/remedies/socks/etc if general rest isn't making it better. hopefully, i just bruised it. i admit that i HAD been feeling every little pebble through the soles lately, and maybe (hopefully), i just got some warning pains.

peace,
hcm

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I had the same problem during pregnancy. I got a little relief by doing calf stretches (not sure why they're related, but it helped), but it didn't really heal up until after I had the baby. Something to do with the relaxing hormones that relax your tendons, I think.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like plantar facsitis for sure. I am susceptible to this. What is very helpful is to stretch and warm up your foot while in the shower. Also, you should massage your foot before getting out of bed and taking that first achy step. Another helpful exercise is to repeatedly pick up and drop a towel with your toes. Stretching your calves is key. What I found also helped was wearing supportive shoes like Dansko clogs while at home. If I remember to stretch my feet in the warmth of the shower, I manage to keep the painful episodes away for the most part.

HTH...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just a quick update-
after resting for 4 days, my heel was feeling much better. i purchased some insoles designed for plantar fasciitis, and i've been wearing them in my new running shoes. i've been able to hike without much difficulty for my usual ~6 miles every day.

my feet are still tight and both of my soles are a little sore in the morning, but it wears off very easily within the first 10 or so minutes of the day. my major concern, the pain directly in my right heel (bone area), is gone. the tightness and mild soreness i can completely live with- chalk it up to one of those third trimester, ligament-loosening sorts of things, and hope that i'm back to normal post-partum. i can find peace with that. i am just so happy that i can hike again, as i really, really rely on walking to get me through late pregnancy and labor.

thanks for your thoughts, everyone. i will follow up with some of the ideas in this thread, and get some professional assistance, if i'm finding myself having difficulty after the baby arrives. hopefully, i'll be okay till then.

peace,
hcm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.