Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My placenta is now 7 months old....as well as my baby...My placenta has been in my mom's freezer...as we moved to MX 5 month's ago. I didnt want to take my placenta with me...as it would of been to much trouble to keep it frozen.
I was wanting to plant it with a new tree at my mother's house....but my step dad may be transfered with his job...so i didnt want to plant my placenta and if my mom moves then my placenta will stay there and i want it planted at someones house who will be living there a long time.
I asked my grandparents and my grandpa said no...what can i do with it? I have a week to figure this out...as i am visiting my mom in NC and will be heading back to MX soon.
I want my placenta to go to someone who will respect it...having a hard time finding that...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Are you flying or driving and is she close to the mountains in NC? I am in East TN, and would be willing to take it. I could either 1) Plant it with the trees i am planting in our 5 acres, or keep it frozen and use it for a childbirth class...would that be an option? PM me if you like...Cathi

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Quote:
i have a 7 mo frozen placenta too!
Me too.

no idea though... I'm holding onto mine until we move into a house with a real yard.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have 3 placentas waiting in the freezer for me to do something with them or get over the idea of doing something with them, LOL! The oldest one is 5 years (I didn't get to keep my 7 yo son's, as he was born in hospital.
) and has been through 3 different moves!

Anyway, I suppose I will eventually plant them in the ground somewhere, but I dunno where....there just doesn't seem to be such a thing as a permanent home anymore...part of me wants to return to where we lived with each baby and plant them there, even if we have to do so sneakily, LOL! Another part of me wants to plant them somewhere significant to my history, or something like that. I dunno....I guess that's why they are still in the freezer, LOL!

I guess if I didn't have the emotional/sentimental need to do something significant with them, I would donate them to a midwifery school or the like...or if that wasn't an option, I would call Search & Rescue centers. They often use them to assist in training rescue dogs. That is what my first midwife did--if the parents didn't want to keep the placenta, she would take them and donate them to the local Search&Rescue unit. Might be sorta strange to just cold call and say, "Hey, I have a human placenta I'd like to give you!" LOL!

If we have any more babies, I think I'll just encapsulate it!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm only 27 weeks along but my husband and I are trying to figure out what we're going to do with our placenta. We really wanted to plant a tree in honor of both our fathers since they both passed a few years ago, but we know we won't be in this house but for a few more years. I had never heard of encapsulating it or making smoothies in post-partum until I joined this site last week, but it's something I'm considering. My midwife's assistant that's doing our homebirth classes mentioned that some women digest it to avoid postpartum depression and to help recover from birth, but she didn't give details and I imagined a woman with a knife and a fork, which isn't all that appealing. So now I'm kind of considering that route, too.

If you could donate it as some of the other comments suggested, that seems like a good idea if you don't have strong emotional attachment to it. Otherwise, that's a tough one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.