Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have apricots coming out of my, um, ears. I did 20 jars of jam yesterday and am about to do one last batch this afternoon. I would like to dry some in slices for snacking, but I'm not sure how best to do it. I don't have a dehydrator or the screen thingies to do it outside. I am pretty sure it can be done in the oven but it's 110 degrees here, so I'm not sure I want to do that...
Any suggestions for ways to preserve them?? I have all of maybe 2 days before they start piling up on the ground under the tree because they are really ready to go. Also nobody in my family likes apricots so they aren't going to be eaten fresh at all. I need to preserve them in some way to share them with people who do like them.

Help?! BTW, I'm quite sure this has been covered so I apologize, but hey, no search function.
TIA!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hmmnn...I was going to say dry some
Maybe if you did them overnight (lowest oven setting) it wouldn't be too bad with the heat?

Other than that, you can get a bottle of brandy and soak them in that! They keep for a really long time and then the brandy would be delicious too!! MMMMmmmm...It would be so good to pull some out at Christmas time. You could even do some in smaller canning jars and give them as gifts
You can use the soaked fruit for desserts or just plain.

Wish I had that many - I LOOOOOOOOVE apricots!!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This might not take care of very many but dd and I made popsicles by roughly smashing them with bananas....so good!

Apricot bread would be good especially with almonds or pecans and it would freeze well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by artemis33
Other than that, you can get a bottle of brandy and soak them in that! They keep for a really long time and then the brandy would be delicious too!! MMMMmmmm...It would be so good to pull some out at Christmas time. You could even do some in smaller canning jars and give them as gifts
You can use the soaked fruit for desserts or just plain.
So they can just be sliced and chucked in with the brandy and it essentially preserves them? That's an idea.

I sliced and froze about a gallon of them today and maybe I'll go out and pick some and put them in the oven tonight to ty it. It is 105 degrees right now at 8:30 PM but it is supposed to drop down to 70 overnight so maybe I will try that too. Thanks!

Bread is also a good idea. People like bread. And muffins too.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I make apricot jelly. DH doesn't like the chunks in jam, and jelly requires about 5x as many apricots. It also makes a very pretty christmas gift.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Oh yeah apricot bread is yummy too!

Regarding the brandied apricots - here's where I got the recipe - I listen to the show and she's always talking about chucking something in the brandy
I know you can do it more simply - without adding the spices - but I don't know if you can skip the sugar water boil. I swear she's said before you can just add the fruit, but I've never done it. Apricots you can just cut in halves or quarters - cherries you can do whole with the pit removed (another yummy option). I've never had enough around to do it for gifts, but I've been wanting to!!! Hmmnnn, maybe I'll have to get a bunch from the farmer's market...

Oh yeah you could also cook some down into a sauce to have over ice cream or pancakes....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for that recipe! I'll have to try that--maybe the brandy will make the taste of the apricots palatable to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.