Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just called the evil office where I had a terrible first appointment to see how to go about transferring my files to the new office I'll be going to next week. The woman was very short with me but after asking the same question over and over she told me it would cost me a $20 handling fee plus $0.77 per page of my file and they would transfer the paperwork for me or I could pick it up. I filled out a ton of forms which I'm sure will be redundant since I've filled out a bunch of forms for the new office already. The only important thing the new office won't have really is my pap smear results. I received a note in the mail that said my pap was normal.
So what do you think I should do? Am I going to be required to have yet another pap? I kept the note that said my pap was normal so I'll bring that with me to my appointment. I'd rather not pay all that money to an office I have only had aweful experiences with.

Thanks!

Kristen

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I would just bring the note to the new office that said your pap was normal. If they need further verification then the new office can call the old one. You don't need to deal with that other office ANY more and you don't need another pap!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I agree with Sandy as well. If your new caregiver wants the records he/she can ask for them and they will hand them over. I think the gal at the other doctors office was just giving you grief. I worked at a surgery center and we never charged patients for copies of their file.

Keri

·
Registered
246 Posts
What if you had your new OB request your records? I have never heard of them charging for a doctor to doctor transfer. I would get angry. These are YOUR records. YOUR property darnit!!!! Get your new doc to request them for you. And NO don't get a new Pap... YOU know your results, YOU know they were normal... thats final!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so happy I decided to change practices. I cannot believe how bad my previous practice treated me. I cannot imagine I am the only one.
Thank you for all the help and informing me that charging is not typical. Now that I think about it, I've had records transferred before free of charge. DD's pediatritian's office charged us for her records but that was because they have an outside company make the copies for me and it was only $8 for a year and a half worth of records, which is a lot of stuff since it was for DD's first year and a half of life.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Funny you mention this topic, I have put off calling the evil office from my 1st pg tp xfer my files to the new OB.d I do know though they do not chg to xfer to another office, only if you want a copy for yourself. My DH says not to bother but I feel its important considering my last pg was rough. That old office is really dysfunctional and I have a feeling they wont even do it anyways theyre such jerks!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, a doctors office can charge for records if they are going to an individual. It can't be excessive, but 20 cents per page is pretty average. I agree, if you really need the records, have the other office request them, and there won't be a charge.
-Mindi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts