Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering the idea of food intolerance being a problem with my chronic pain (and some other issues, like <b>many</b> foods making me phlegmy and icky). I'm dx'd with fibromyalgia and have lived with chronic pain as far back as I can remember, with the past 10 years being pretty bad. Reading and talking here on MDC has helped me figure out that food may well be a problem so I'm ready to try and figure out what's bothering me. I just don't know what to try first. I'm not willing to go TED. I've been working on eliminating garbage "food" such as artificial sweeteners (including HFCS) and highly processed things. Getting much better at eating foods that are more whole. I eat plenty of gluten/wheat, dairy, corn, soy, so there could be a problem with anything, really. I do have oral allergy syndrome and have to eat most fruits cooked and have to avoid almonds, hazelnuts, macadamias, and I think there is another nut that I'm not remembering.<br><br>
So there you have it. Where do I start? Does it matter? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
There could be alot of triggers here, but just start with whatever one you feel right about.<br>
soy is a big issue for many, even soy oil, lecithin, tofu, soy miks

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I'll give you choices:<br>
1. Eliminate dairy because it's the top 1<br>
2. Eliminate dairy and gluten because they're the top 2<br>
3. Eliminate dairy, gluten, corn and soy because it's in everything and brings you down to whole/real foods.<br><br>
It's not as difficult as you think to take everything out. We've eaten this way for a year. Yes, you have to look at all the labels. Yes, you have to make a lot of your own food. But I weigh the pain vs. the extra work, and there is absolutely no contest. Last year, another mother at dd2's preschool mentioned that she went to a rheumatologist. I asked what for (her son is gluten free, so we chat sometimes). She said it was for some auto-immune disorder. I asked her to try gluten free, and she said no since it was auto-immune, couldn't effect it, etc. This year at one of the school parties, she mentioned that she was gluten free, I said, "really?" She said, yeah, I decided to try it out, and my "auto-immune disease" disappeared. Gluten is a big inflammatory one. But I'd take them all out, and see if the pain goes away and then if you're brave enough, try each one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts