Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, Help, Help!!! I have a white tiled shower, walls and floor. With dh and three kids (there is me but I exude no dirt
) you can imagine the grime and how well it shows. I am at my WITS END trying to get it clean. I have been pouring straight beach on it at this point but really don't want to. Not that I think that using bleach is necessarily evil but being pregnant I try to avoid using it. So, what is out there that will definitely work? I know the standard natural cleaning approaches but they haven't worked. Have any of you mamas had excellent luck with something natural for the yukkies in the shower?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I loooooooooooove vinegar. I wish I could buy it in 100 gallon jugs. And I have had good luck with bsoda but not this time. There is this black dirt build up between the tiles that I can't seem to get rid of with those. And of course my keen pregnancy eyesight hones in on this everyday.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I'd give it a good scrub and then use a toothbrush to paint "non-chlorine bleach" (AKA strong hydrogen peroxide) on the grout in between the tiles. Use gloves as you don't want this stuff on your hands. It disinfects and bleaches almost as well as chlorine bleach. I painted it on, left it on a few minutes, then scrubbed it a bit before rinsing it off. Make sure your bathroom is ventilated when you do this although it isn't like breathing in ammonia or anything like that. My bathroom went from EWWWWWW to WOW!

You can get non-chlorine bleach at your local HFS - I buy Ecover's brand. 7th generation makes some as well.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I spray on vinegar, leave it overnight, then the next morning, spray some more on and scrub it off with a toothbrush. It gets stuff off nothing I've ever tried in years has (and I've tried all the store stuff). Our shower was a disgusting black but I got it off in a snap with vinegar!!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
For tub grime, using something mildly abrasive and some elbow grease works for us. Baking soda sometimes, and for the really nasty times, I use comet or ajax cleanser (without bleach). I spray the tub with water, then sprinkle on the baking soda (or other cleanser), let it sit for a while, then scrub it off with a brush or abrasive sponge.

I'm at a loss for mildew on shower tiles... I know bleach takes it right off, but I'd hesitate to be around that much when pregnant. Never tried vinegar. Keeping the bathroom well ventilated helps prevent it, as does squeegee-ing like my parents used to make us do

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I am a natural cleaner kind of gal myself but we had a horrible problem with the grout/tile in our showe/bath as well for the longest time. I tried *everything* and it was just too far gone. We ended up removing it and putting in new stuff. And I mean I tried *everything*....LOL

Anyways, good luck, I know how frusterating a bathtub can be, I became obsessed with mine! LOL

·
Registered
646 Posts
Okay, ya'll might think I'm a bit nuts, but I just use a plain steel wool pad to clean my tub and tiles. Old toothbrush & vinegar seems to work pretty good in between tiles. If you use the steel wool and are on a septic though (or have lots of bends in your pipes), plug the drain with a bit of cheesecloth so the strands don't go down the drain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.