Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this hat pattern (knit), and would love to make it for dd. However, it looks to be an infant size? How do I tell, and can I make it big enough to fit an almost 5 year old? (I think her head is around 20-22", I need to measure it, but ds's is 20" and they're close in size)
Sorry to be so brief, typing one-handed

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Well- that hat is a "concept" and not so much a pattern. So just get your yarn and needles and knit a swatch. Measure the swatch and your daughter's head. Then do the math. take that number- multiply x4 that's your cast on number. ... then you do the two rounds of decreases to make the ruffle. Then knit deep enough to make the hat cover her ears. THen decrease for the crown as instructed- it's going to take more rounds to do the decreasing because you have more stitches- but it will work. Count your number of stitches and divide by the number of sections to decrease. If your numbers don't come out evenly- fudge it by decreasing a few stitches in the rounds before the true decrease starts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.