Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - after all the good advice, we're going to try CD'ing!

Now - babe is almost 11 pounds.

Does it make more sense to buy the pre-folds and covers that go up to 14lbs, or start with the next size up which is 12-20lbs.

I am looking at the indian prefolds and thirsties covers at abbyslane.com.

Would the 12-20lbs size be too bulky? Is it worth it to invest in the smaller sizes even though he may be out of them in a month - he's gaining more than an oz. a day.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmm. My vote is to go with the size up. Every time I went with a smaller size, I've regretted it because my boy didn't get to wear them long. However, he grew really fast, so that's where I'm coming from.

But most everyone will tell you that you can fold the prefolds down until he grows into them. So even if they are too big, it should still work.

As for the covers, I'm not sure. You want the covers to fit well, I believe. My boy never had explosive poops (until now, that is!), so I could always use covers that were a bit too big for him, but I don't think everyone has that luxury!

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
I'm using prefolds that are too big & folding them down. A little bulky but working just fine.

For covers you could get an adjustable one like Mommy's Touch. At 12lbs I've still got him on the smallest adjustment.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I bought my original indians from abby's lane about 4 years ago. Are you pinning or trifolding? The regular indians will be pretty bulky if you want to trifold (I can still trifold an Infant for Avraham Tzvi and he's 16 lbs and almost 10 months old). If you want to pin I would go with the regular indians. Either way I would go with small thirsties. The meds are HUGE. My baby can still wear a small if I trifold, and he wore a small until he was about 7 months old full time.

I kind of rambled so I'll summerize

If you want to trifold, get Infant sized diapers & small covers.
If you want to pin / snappy get regular sized diapers and small covers.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When we started, we purchased a couple of the 15-30lb prefolds and they were okay, but huge and bulky. We were trying other types of diaper too and ended up going back and purchasing a few of the smaller prefolds and we still use them for like doublers and such. So having smaller ones can be handy.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'd get yellow edges from Green Mountain Diapers. It is an in between size that my 17.5 pound babe fits in well still.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Karen* View Post
I'd get yellow edges from Green Mountain Diapers. It is an in between size that my 17.5 pound babe fits in well still.
That's so crazy, because my 16 pound son hasn't fit into the yellow edges for a while. At least with a snappi - I could trifold a yellow edge still. I guess every kid really is individual - you have to experiment with sizes to find out what will work for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!!! I went with 18 infant and 24 premiums. Small thirsties covers and a small bummis cover just to try - I am excited to get started and ditch the pampers!

Everyone here is so helpful
:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.