Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tarasam View Post
For children between ages 6 and 16, the WISC-IV is pretty standard.
Not so much for GATE/TAG testing. That tends to be more group testing these days than individualized. And WISCs are used infrequently in districts with high ESL populations.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
My DS school used a group administered test.

Group tests do not catch all gifted children - children who are 2E (twice exceptional) often do not perform up to their capabilities on group test.

So, if your child is gifted and does well on tests, your child will be fine using a group test

If your child is gifted, but does not perform well on class tests (due to ADD, dysgraphia, dyslexia, underachieving issues etc) an individualised test, such as a WISC, is better. You may have to have this done privately.

Kathy

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
My DS school used a group administered test.

Group tests do not catch all gifted children - children who are 2E (twice exceptional) often do not perform up to their capabilities on group test.

So, if your child is gifted and does well on tests, your child will be fine using a group test

If your child is gifted, but does not perform well on class tests (due to ADD, dysgraphia, dyslexia, underachieving issues etc) an individualised test, such as a WISC, is better. You may have to have this done privately.

Kathy
:

Our school does the CogAT. My son scored out in the "at-risk" category in verbal (23rd percentile) but the individualized test he scored out in the 98th percentile verbally. He's 2E and the anxiety plus auditory issues in a group testing setup really affected his scores. He was referred for GT testing by his teacher who was very surprised by the scores when I shared them with her.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
My dd took the CogAt but it was administered privately, not in a group setting. We were cyberschooling at the time, and it was just their policy to test everyone individually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.