Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with kids at home during the day...

what time do you start counting the seconds until dh/dp/so comes home?

I think I'm a great mama, for the most part. But when 6pm strikes, I start slowly deteriorating into extremely tired mama who desperately needs someone to come over and help with these kids! (Dh doesn't get home til 7-7:30).

What's the magic hour for you?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Wow! You actually make it until 6p.m.? I start feeling worn out (and, yes, counting the seconds until dh comes home,) around 3 p.m. Although I've discovered recently that I can go about 1.5 hours longer if I don't have pasta for lunch. It's too heavy and I tend to eat too much of it, ( I love pasta,) and it leaves me feeling worn out. A light wrap with veggies and cheese keeps me going much longer. (Throw in a beer with lunch and I'm good to go.)

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
I always seem to have a low point about 3pm. So we have "quiet time". Even my big kids know to respect my closed door for a little while. They may read on their beds or play quietly in the basement playroom. When I get back up, we start a few chores and put on lively music and start dinner, anticipating the return of DAD.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Seems to be around 3pm for me too. That also seems to be when the kids fall apart. Only the baby naps these days and the kids just seem to spend a lot of thier time fighting around that hour. Dh gets home around 5pm, so I am lucky.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
For me it's always around 4pm. Well, today it was 8am. :LOL DH gets home around 6pm and those two hours in between usually seem longer than the whole rest of the day put together!

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
For me its around 6 or so. Sometimes 5. DH gets in around 7:30 so I try to make it to 6 before admitting I'm out of steam.

I combat that by feeding the freezer so I have a meal ready to go a few days if need be.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
It really depends on the day. There are definitly days where it's like that from the time I get up. Usually though I'm doing OK until 3 or 4. I'm VERY lucky though that DH comes home for an hour each day on lunch. He mostly takes care of Emi during that hour & gives me a chance to decompress. And yes, I'll freely admit to counting the seconds sometimes until he gets home. Especially now that we're into this weird super clingy yet active stage.

Holly

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
For me, it's around 4. That's when DH gets home on a good day, so I've gotten used to being able to relax and unwind a little then, but on the days when he's late for some reason, I really start to feel it right about then.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I usually hit a big lull about 3 p.m. and so does my dd #1. My dh gets home around 5- 5:30 and we are all so happy to see him and get a hit of new energy!

The pp about eating pasta for lunch was very interesting. A beer for lunch gives you more energy?!?! I'm all for that!

·
Registered
432 Posts
4:00 for me. I was getting exhausted at that time and ds was getting hurt- from my not watching him as well and from just being clumsy and worn out too. We started drinking smoothies at that time. I make it as nutritious as I can, and ds and I are able to make it til dh gets home (around 5:30pm)-- and I may even be able to get dinner half-way made. Some of the stuff I put in the smoothie- plain- whole milk yogurt, fruit, flax oil, nuts or nut butter, raw kale or other greens, sometimes even an egg yolk! I swear it has made a huge difference.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Friday evening around Supper time.

My Partner is only home on the weekends right now. So I gotta suck it up till then. I DO however take "days off" in a way on Mondays and Wednesdays *Basicly doing NOTHING but looking after the little one and myself, ignoring any and all housework*

·
Registered
764 Posts
some days it's about 4pm. some days i'm totally shocked that dp is home already. it depends on whether or not i've done something. i'm less likely to poop out if i've occupied myself and dd with a walk or errands or i've found it helps if i watch a movie in the later afternoon because i'm distracted.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by carole3
Iam done for the day at 8:00p.m.. I need my space and time after that.
This is how I feel at 6pm. Unfortunately, dh isn't home until 7 or 7:30. And my 2 1/2 year old definitely does not agree that I am done for the day until at least 8pm.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Right before dinner is when I usually feel at my limit. Oh sure, many days I am feeling this way by 9:00am!! :LOL But the real deal, about-to-yell for no reason, physical and mental exhaustion hits me right around 5pm. And DH isn't home until 7pm.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
About 4 pm for me. I have an hour until I start dinner, two hours till dh gets home. I feel like I need to find something stimulating for the kids to do but what I'd really like to do is lie on the couch and read a book. Of course, I can't do that because I haven't gotten the laundry done/bathtub scrubbed/carpets vaccuumed, whatever was on my list to accomplish that day.

Yep, 4 pm for me.

Namaste!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts