Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I start preparing at noon if it's a crockpot meal, and 6:30ish if it's not. We eat around 7:30ish when DH is home from work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Unless I get a hair across my butt and actually plan something earlier in the day(ha!) I start shortly after dh get's home from work...sometime between 5:00 and 5:30 and we'll eat anywhere between 6:00 and 7:30 depending on what I make and how involved it is. It's also subject to my level of motivation

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
we eat between 7 and 8 pm. sometimes later (like on the weekends). That's just how we are

I start making dinner between 5-6, usually. Often though I don't start until DH is home from work so he can help cook or entertain the kids. He gets home between 6-7. It just depends on what we are having and how much prep time is needed. If the meat needs to marinate I usually do that early afternoon.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
We eat between 5-6pm. If it's a simple pasta dinner, then I start at 5pm. But most things I start between 4-5pm. Often I'll do prep before that, anytime throughout the day when the baby gives me a chance, otherwise it'll never happen.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I usually know what I'm making for that night's dinner in the morning. I do the prep work, measuring, chopping, etc while ds is napping in the afternoon and put it all in bowls. My dh usually comes home between 4:30-5 and he takes over the kid and I cook what I've prepped. We usually eat between 5:30-6.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
It depends on what I'm cooking. Most of the time I don't start dinner until DH tells me he's leaving the office. Since it takes him an hour to get home, that gives me about an hour and a half to get dinner on the table.

But for instance today we'll be having tongue, so I'll be starting that as soon as he leaves for work since it has to cook all day.

Our dinner time is based entirely upon how late DH is working that night. Most of the time we don't eat until after 8, and there've been nights it's been as late as 11.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I like to be eating dinner between 6 and 6:30. I start cooking whenever I need to in order to have dinner finished by that time. Some days I start cooking in the crock pot by 9am and other days I don't start making anything until about 5:45. It really all depends on what I'm making.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
We eat at 5. 5:15 at the latest. My kids go to bed early, so we have to eat early.

I usually wind up starting my cooking at 4, depending on how long whatever I'm making is going to take. Sometimes I do it all in the early AM and use the crock pot-- maybe once or twice a week I do that.

Three nights a week I work part-time, so DH makes dinner and then sticks something in the fridge for me when I get home.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Totally depends on the day, but I often find that things go smoothest on days I can do most of the dinner prep work in the morning, when I'm fresh and DD is easily entertained. Then the afternoon (and naptime) can be used for other things and I feel so with-it it to have dinner out of the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.