Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time getting my almost 25 month old to bed at a decent hour. He wakes around 7am and may take an hour nap or so around 12 or 1ish. If he does that, he wont get to sleep again until 10:30 pm. If he doesnt take that afternoon nap he is really tired around 5 or 6, which for us is TOO early, so ends up being in a bad mood and will go to bed around 8ish, which is fine expect for the crankiness. Has anyone found a good schedule for thier little ones?

· Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Paige is pretty good at sleeping

For the first year of her life I struggled so much with routine and bed time, and now we have one that's working so awesomely that I am scared to write about it, in case she never sleeps again ;]

Her spring & summer bed time is about a half hour later than winter because we stay outside more. Normally around 7:30pm we have "quiet time" and snuggle with some tea and an episode of Little Bear or two (this is her television time, before bed...) Around 8:30 I rock her, and sing, and put her in the crib, and she will sleep until 6:30am and 7:30am. She napes for an hour TOPS in the afternoon, but if she doesn't nap at all I put her down at 7.

What's his bed time routine?

· Registered
931 Posts
My DD goes to bed around 10, too, sometimes earlier. She goes to sleep with us. She usually wakes around 7:30 then takes a two hour nap at 1:00. This is what works for her and us. We tried putting her on a different schedule, getting her to go to bed at 8:00 but it just didn't work for us. We also tried cutting out naps and that was a nightmare.

Sometimes I feel bad about it, because it seems every other family does the whole 'putting LO to bed' thing, which I don't do. But at the same time I know it's just a cultural thing. When we're all ready for bed, we all get ready together (brush teeth, pajamas, etc) then we read books and talk together in bed, then we all fall asleep together, too. People ask me how I do it, not getting a break... I get enough of a break during her nap time, and to me the extra bit of me time is not worth the effort of a bed time struggle. Plus, I'd rather get a little bit more sleep myself. Other parents often complain how their LO wakes up at 5:30 or 6:00 and it's too early for them- well, yeah, when you put your kid to bed at 7:30 and stay up until midnight, no wonder!

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find that even if he goes to bed at 10:30 or 8:30 (or inbetween) that he still wakes up at 7ish. My DD always went to bed pretty late (with us--around 10 or 11). Now that she is in school, we have her go to bed by 8:30-9pm. I find that I would like him to start going to bed with her for a few reasons: we are having another baby (in the next month) and it will be harder to put him to bed that late with a new LO because we have to stay with him until he falls asleep in our bed (we co-sleep) and then I or my husband and I end up falling asleep as well (for example last night it took us an hour to get him to sleep and we both ended up dosing off). Secondly, I dont mind him sleeping with us, but have put a new bed in my dd's room for him and would eventually like him to move in there to sleep so I dont wake him with the new baby feedings etc. But I also cant have him waking my dd (we only have a 2 bedroom apt).
Another issue is that on weekends when I am not at work, he can make it the entire day without sleeping and go to bed no problem, yet my family who watches him seems to think he's exhausted and cant keep him up in the afternoon. (I really dont care since they will stop watching him soon when I go out on leave) but we have had so many fights about it that it aggrevates me to no end when he has taken a nap. (my little vent there) Thanks for the responses and I would love to cont. to hear some more!

· Premium Member
11,523 Posts
My 24 mo goes to bed between 9-11, it varies. He consistently sleeps about 12 hours; if he goes to bed at 10 pm, he wakes up around 10 am. I'm not sure how I'd go about it if my LO's woke up super early regardless of what time they went to bed.

· Registered
739 Posts
My son will be 2 in a couple of weeks and he goes to bed around 7pm on weekdays and wakes up around 7-7:30am. He takes anywhere from a 90 minute to 2 hour nap in the afternoons.

On the weekends we let him go to bed later since his doesn't have to be up for daycare in the mornings. He still takes about the same length nap on the weekends too.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
DD is 13.5 months. She usually goes to sleep about 9ish (give or take) and wakes up sometime around 6 give or take a half hour. She then takes a late morning nap and a mid-afternoon nap. Sometimes she takes a third nap too, but I think that's just because we get up so early.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
My dd is 4. She goes to bed by 8 and wakes at 7, with no nap. But at about 3 she transitioned from napping to no nap, for the same reason - she couldn't get to bed at a decent hour.

It took about two weeks for her to get into the new routine, and until then she was tired really early. I tried to give her supper early and a bath and a quiet evening. But she adjusted before long to the new schedule.

· Registered
2,057 Posts
My daughter is almost 2. Her first year, we had very little routine, which worked well for allof us. As she grew into her toddlerhood, a routine naturally developed and seemed quite important for her. Currently she goes to sleep around 7:30-8pm (about an hour later than this winter, as there is more light now). She wakes up around 7am. She naps for an hour or two around 1pm. We night-weaned/moved dd out of the family bed in January, at 20 months old. The night weaning crystallized her routine even more. She does still scamper in some mornings as early as 5am to nurse and doze back off. I welcome that and cherish these times now, because they are getting fewer and fewer..

· Registered
746 Posts
We start the bedtime routine right after dinner, around 6:45. We read books, cuddle, and nurse, and I put her in the crib around 7:15. She's usually asleep by 8. She wakes up around 6. She'll take a 90 minute nap in the afternoon, around 2 or so. If she doesn't take a nap she's asleep by 6:30 and will still sleep until 6.

· Registered
5,260 Posts
We start the bedtime routine around 7 and put him down around 8. He sleeps until 7-7:30 the next morning. He takes a 2 hour nap after lunch. I find if he goes to bed later he wakes up around the same time but is super cranky so we try to get him down by 8:30 at the latest.

· Registered
2,413 Posts
DS is older than yours but has the same wake-up and nap time (generally). His wake-up time is close to 7am. Naptimes on weekdays start anywhere from 12-1:30 for about an hour, sometimes more. I was getting him to bed around 9pm, but after talking with Mary SK (Raising your Spirited Child, Sleepless in America), she said if you have to wake them up in the morning they are not getting enough sleep. Also at this age it should be 12-13 hours (more like 13 if closer to 2yo). So I have been trying to work on moving DS's bedtime back closer to 8pm, so far I haven't been able to get earlier than 8:30.

Naptimes on the weekend are a problem though, for some reason he just doesn't want to go to sleep at home unless we really wear him out.

· Registered
3,107 Posts
Sounds like your DD is on the cusp - too tired to give up daytime naps, but if she gets one then too awake to go to bed. This transition phase is h*ll, but both of you will eventually survive!

DD is 28 months and occasionally rests at daycare, but never at home anymore. If she got over 1.5 hours in the afternoon, then she was hopping around at 10pm. So we skipped all naps and moved her bedtime to 7:30. For 2-3 weeks she was cranky at about 4-6 pm before she got her second wind. Now it has been a few months and no problems - she is not tired in the late afternoon, and she sleeps from 7:30 pm to 6:30 am every da. DS went through the same thing, only he was over 3 years old and starting a new daycare at the same time, and this was true h*ll. DD's was a walk in the park, comparatively. Good luck!

· Registered
12,093 Posts
My 2.5 year old goes to bed between 6 and 7 and gets up around 6:30. Both my kids set their own sleeping schedule. It kinda sucks because we can't do anything in the evenings, but it is nice to have the night for ourselves.

· Registered
495 Posts
My daughters' schedules are pretty consistent, varying a little depending on naps or special events.

DD#1 is 3 and is our morning bird. She gets up between 7-8am. If she naps in the afternoon, she won't be tired until about 8pm. If she doesn't, she starts to get cranky by around 6 and goes to bed at about 7pm. We tend to not give her naps so she can go to bed with her sister, but if she's a little dark cloud by around 1pm, I'll stick her in bed for a couple of hours.

DD#2 is a total nightowl. She loathes mornings, like her mama!
She would happily stay up until we go to bed (at around 1am), but now that she and her sister share a room, she is rudely awakened by the overhead light at 7-8am. We generally lay her back down after she eats breakfast, at about 9am and she sleeps for a couple hours. Then she has an afternoon nap at about 1pm, and goes to bed for the night at 7pm. (She managed to stay awake until 1am on New Year's with us!)

I don't know how this schedule came to be, since they were both sleeping such different schedules when they had separate rooms, but it's so much easier now and DD #1 even cries if she has to go to bed or nap without her sister in the room.

· Registered
323 Posts
Millie is 29 months.

She wakes about 7am, has up to 2 hours snooze most days (but not everyday at all - today she had 30 mins if that!) then goes up to bed about 7.15/7.30. she'll play in her bed for a while but is usually asleep by 8. This has been our routine since about 3 months and it works for us.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nandodianenicole View Post
I am having a hard time getting my almost 25 month old to bed at a decent hour. He wakes around 7am and may take an hour nap or so around 12 or 1ish. If he does that, he wont get to sleep again until 10:30 pm. If he doesnt take that afternoon nap he is really tired around 5 or 6, which for us is TOO early, so ends up being in a bad mood and will go to bed around 8ish, which is fine expect for the crankiness. Has anyone found a good schedule for thier little ones?

We are having this issue with our 2 year old, he wakes up anywhere between 7am and 8:30am and if he naps, even 15 minutes, he won't go to bed till 11-11:30pm. If he doesn't nap though he is a bear from about 3pm until he goes down around 8pm. So at the moment we are going with the nap in the afternoon and a late bedtime since iti s better then having a grump for 5 hours a day.

· Registered
1,823 Posts
Didn't read all the replies, but I find that the key to getting my ds to sleep is a routine that involves going outside every day, twice a day if possible. I have to really 'wear him out" from about 5:30-7 with a ton of running, jumping, climbing, etc. It has to be really intense exercise. Then we come in to wind down: play inside, read a story or two, have a bath and pj's then I have lately been giving him a sippy cup of whole milk, warmed up to his taste, and a protein-rich snack. By 8:30 at the latest he is asleep.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.