Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Penny Simkin one day seminar

Votes: 3 21.4%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I really want to attend a conference/workshop of some type in the near future (next year of so). I need to save a long time to get the available funds to afford any trip. I save all my cc points for airline tickets. So far I've saved enough for one roundtrip ticket. I will need to come up with the accomodation/food/and registration fees of what every I pick.

So, knowing that, I would like to get your pick of what to attend.

1. The next DONA conference. This is nice because it is during the summer when my dh is home off work from teaching.

2. Midwifery Today conference. I'm such a wanabe midwife but at this point do not have the time/money/little kids to moved forward. Attending this conference would be so refreshing.

3. There is a local doula group that hosts a one day conference. With a single speaker, I think Penny Simkin is the next one. Local so no travel or hotel costs.

Thanks for your opinion,

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
I'd say, if you could have your choice, to take the midwifery today conference. You would almost certainly be able to see Penny Simkin there, as well as all of the other "big names" in the natural birth movement. I'd definately go if I had the MONEY!

·
Registered
540 Posts
MW Today! Even though you're not a midwife, as doulas we all support the midwifery model of care, and I think you'd learn so much and really get re-connected for your clients.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'd choose the Midwifery Today Conference aswell.
It would be a fantastic opportunity to reassert your feelings and dreams about becomming a midwife. It would be a glimpse for you to see if it's a path you still want to travel, and give you renewed motivation and enthusiasm to follow through with your aspirations.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'd chose the Penny Simkin one-day thing. For one thing, I'd get to help support a local doula group and another, it's cheaper on the whole since its in your town, etc. But I'm pretty poor so of course I pick the cheapest option
(if I had the dough, I think I'd go to a Midwifery Today thing too!)

Namaste, Tara

1 - 5 of 5 Posts