Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all--
My DS is exclusively BF and has been very gassy. He will often grunt for long periods of time (generally at night) and then sometimes has explosive sounding poops. My DH has tried mylecon (over the counter anti-gas stuff) but I tend to think the gas is a symptom of something else.
1. I seem to have an overactive letdown/oversupply which has eased a little bit more recently. I nurse on one breast at a feeding and try to nurse against gravity when I can. I also burp Philip more often. Perhaps, despite these efforts, this is still the cause of his gas?
2. I am wondering if he is sensitive to something I'm eating. I myself am mildly sensitive to dairy, but still eat it. If you think this may be the problem, what do I eliminate first, dairy?
3. Thoughts on mylecon (sp?)?
Thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selesai
Hi all--
My DS is exclusively BF and has been very gassy. He will often grunt for long periods of time (generally at night) and then sometimes has explosive sounding poops. My DH has tried mylecon (over the counter anti-gas stuff) but I tend to think the gas is a symptom of something else.
1. I seem to have an overactive letdown/oversupply which has eased a little bit more recently. I nurse on one breast at a feeding and try to nurse against gravity when I can. I also burp Philip more often. Perhaps, despite these efforts, this is still the cause of his gas?
2. I am wondering if he is sensitive to something I'm eating. I myself am mildly sensitive to dairy, but still eat it. If you think this may be the problem, what do I eliminate first, dairy?
3. Thoughts on mylecon (sp?)?
Thanks for all advice.
Extremely gassy baby here and as far as the dairy, I would cut it out. Pretty much, anything that makes my stomach upset, will make my babe's stomach upset. There are a lot of things that can make a babies tummy upset that they can get through your breastmilk. Gassy vegtables (onions, broccoli, bell peppers ect), choocolate and certain spices, caffiene, dairy, wheat, citrus fruits, ect. I would start with caffiene and dairy. Just keep in mind that it will be about 3-4 weeks before it's out of your system, and that most babies need you to cut out ALL DAIRY. I am doing it right now, and it's no picnic, let me tell you!! We use Mylicon, and it's alright, honestly I think Gripe Water works better. Ya know, unless the pooping is making him uncomfortable, it sounds pretty normal. My babe does that too. She kinda has to work it out a bit, but then BAM she has a very full diaper. The overactive let down can definately cause more gas in their systems, cause they usually try to catch up and end up taking big gulps and get a lot of air in with the milk. Just part of the process. My little one just takes in a lof of air period. She is a noisy messy eater. Watcha gonna do?

·
Registered
70 Posts
We had a similar problem when my DS was your DS's age and I eliminated dairy. I also complete cut out all caffeine and carbonated beverages for a while (and now have a little bit here and there). You might try an elimination diet -- it is describes in many of the Sears books.

I tried to elevate DS's head slightly when I nursed him and while he slept.

The gas will pass (pun intended) as your DS matures. My DS is now almost 6 months old and he is MUCH less gassy than his early days! What a blessing!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I had extrteme oversupply with Frankie. Here is what I did- I nursed him on one side for every 6 hr!! period. Usually that meant 3 times on one side. I saw an immediate imoprovement!! Also i cut dairy out but I think that was causing him reflux not gas. Frankie is nearly a year and last week I had a tiny bit of cheese and he was back to spitting up. Like you I am sensitive to too much dairy myself and I hve noticed that in this past yr I feel so much healthier! (except for the chronic tiredness!) So you might want to drop dairy anyway

·
Registered
516 Posts
you can also try to do some massage on his belly - from left to right across above his navel and then from top right to bottom right alongside the right hand side of his navel
if you try this you may feel some kind of pressure or full feeling inside him - and if you do it without a diaper then at the time or a few minutes later he may do a lot of poop or poopandair may come out
this may help with the grunting episodes

also burping him by folding him over your arm with his head hanging and him sitting down will compress his intestines and can help to move air through him that has got in during feeding

·
Registered
322 Posts
Is this an ongoing problem or is your nursling about six weeks old? I'm pretty sure most babies go through a very gassy phase. It isn't surprising given that the gut flora are just establishing themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.