Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caleb has some pretty severe food allergies.<br>
He also has severe outdoor allergies spring/summer/fall.<br>
Last year he began reacting to both dust and cat for the first time. These are new indoor/year round allergies.<br><br>
Symptom wise he seems much better than during his peak outdoor allergy seasons. He complains still of itchy nose, throat, and ears but reports it's not too bad. Still, I see sneezing occasionally and we are having occasional mild asthma flairs as well. I've done what I can for the dust in his sleeping space.<br><br>
It's cat that has me sad. She's a pet. How would I explain getting rid of her in a non-damaging way to the boys? Plus she's old and so we'd likely have to put her to sleep as people don't adopt old cats. I don't know how I would do that emotionally.<br><br>
She doesn't go in his room. How bad is it to keep the cat? Wouldn't her dander still hang around for years or something like that?<br><br>
I'm just looking for "what I would do" opinions basically.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
The dander stays for 3-4 months. If you have carpeting, etc., it'll stay around for longer. If he's asthmatic because of cats, I would get rid of it. But I no longer love cats since DH is allergy-induced asthma to cats (and dogs) and DD1 is allergic to cats. I did work hard to find a dog that was tolerated by him because I still wanted a pet. When DD1 came up positive to cats, and DH already had allergy-induced asthma to cats, I asked the allergist what the chances were that hers would develop into asthma. He said not likely as long as we didn't get a cat. He said if she were exposed every day, the likelihood went way up. So I've been very careful about keeping her away from houses with cats (even my father's). We only go there once every few months, for a few hours at the most. My SIL's cat was a mostly outdoor cat except in winter and my DH reacted at her house year round. His limit was 2 hours (even on 3 asthma meds) before he'd start wheezing. A kids' breathing is more important than a cat in my book, but I know there are people who don't believe that. My dad's girlfriend had 5 cats while her kids were growing up, one of whom is very allergic. She had him on all sorts of meds growing up, and even now he wants a cat, so he's trying some other new med. Some people just love their pets. Do you have a HEPA filter in his room? Do you keep his room closed from the rest of the house? If she's old and she's not going to last that much longer anyway, maybe there are some things you can do... not sure what... since it seems kind of mean to keep her in the basement or something. It's a hard decision either way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts