Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9,359 Posts
Wow. It sounds like you've got your hands full.

I don't really know what to suggest. It could be that your DD just isn't dealing with this well at all, and maybe you should put a stop to it. OTOH, it could be that with the right techniques and approaches you can make it alot easier on her. Maybe if you gave us some specific examples of incidents that happen and what you do about them...?

· Registered
9,359 Posts
Don't have too much time right now. I do think that you can work through this, especially if the job is important to you. My DD had to adjust to a new sibling. I gave lots of preparation time...but she was older than yours at the time and had some limited understanding. Your DH's point is all very well and good, but it's not fair to give a child one style of parenting and then decide one day WHAMMO you've-had-it-good-and-now-its-time-to-just-deal-with-it. Totally NOT fair. Not to mention your child is just a baby herself...geez, not even 2 yet.

So take it situation by situation and brainstorm. Wearing your DD is a great idea, especially for things like the potty. I also agree with whoever asked if you could use a little potty so you wouldn't need to help her up on it, and also you wouldn't have to interrupt whatever your DD was doing to drag her off to the bathroom.

For each situation I'm sure you can find a solution. That is what I've learned as a mum of two, that I have to just think ahead and plan ahead. The two sitting on your lap I can so relate to, lol. That doesn't usually happen 'round here either.

Just recognize your DD is acting this way because she is distressed, and it's a time when she is not quite able to understand alot of what is going on. What she needs is alot of sympathy and validation. Reduce all the sources of conflict that you possibly can, and the few that remain will hopefully teach her a bit about patience, frustration, etc with your guidance and support.

Oh yeah, throw us some more situations that are particularly challenging for you and we'll see what else we can come up with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.