Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this isn't the appropriate place for this thread, please move.

My BIL has defaulted on his student loans and has some other debt. He lives 12 hours away from us.

We have a slightly unusual last name. We have started getting calls asking for him (first name only). So far, I have said that no one by that name lives here. Should I do something different? I really don't want to get involved but I'm tired of the phone calls.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
My neighbor's creditors kept calling me, asking me to tell him to return their calls.
I finally asked if their calling me was legal, why were they calling me, who can I report this to... and they hung up on me and haven't called back since.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Student Assistance Corporation. They're the ones who call relatives about student loans. They called about my half-brother who I haven't seen in YEARS. Do a google for them... it's kind of a scam, actually.

I believe student loan companies prey upon young adults to withdraw ridiculous amounts of money that is difficult to pay back. I told them I wouldn't hand my half-brother the phone if he was sitting right next to me!

Check out http://www.studentloanjustice.org/

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
it's likely that he put your name + number when he got the loans - you have to put two "references" that are likely to know our whereabouts in the future. You can ask them to stop calling, but they likely won't if they got the info from BIL originally. I'd call BIL and tell him to call them and work something out!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Just tell them that you haven't seen him, you won't be seeing him & to stop calling you or you will report them to the Federal Trade Commission for violations of the Fair Debt collection Practices Act. They will stop right then

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
it's likely that he put your name + number when he got the loans - you have to put two "references" that are likely to know our whereabouts in the future. You can ask them to stop calling, but they likely won't if they got the info from BIL originally. I'd call BIL and tell him to call them and work something out!
I've never been asked for "references" for student loans.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
I've never been asked for "references" for student loans.
I know when I got my student loans back in the mid-90's, and DH in the early 90's, both of us had to list references. They were specifically labeled as people who would know our whereabouts in the future - I put my grandma and aunt. Maybe it's a state-to-state thing? My loans were obtained in PA.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Just tell them that you haven't seen him, you won't be seeing him & to stop calling you or you will report them to the Federal Trade Commission for violations of the Fair Debt collection Practices Act. They will stop right then

Yes, this is the right answer. Keep it simple and this is legally correct. I also take the organizations name and number (sometimes they hang up right there) to record that I've asked them to stop calling me. Once they call again, they can get in huge trouble, legally.

BIL did NOT have to put your name as a reference on loan documentation for them to be calling you. We've never been a reference for ILs and yet we often get calls for them. We have a very common last name and they find us quite easily!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:

That's possible but it's more likely the debt collectors searched for anyone with his last name. It's astounding the information they have access to. As was said in the movie Maxed Out, your right to privacy only applies to the government. Private citizens (collection agencies) can access whatever they want. It's awful.
I would not call BIL and tell him to work something out. That's exactly what they are trying to do. Use public humiliation to get him to pay a debt. It does violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. As the OP said, she doesn't want to get involved and she shouldn't be involved just because a smarmy collection agency is using whatever tactics it can to collect.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Quote:

I know when I got my student loans back in the mid-90's, and DH in the early 90's, both of us had to list references. They were specifically labeled as people who would know our whereabouts in the future - I put my grandma and aunt. Maybe it's a state-to-state thing? My loans were obtained in PA.
Maybe so. I've filled out the FAFSA twice in the last year and wasn't asked anything like that. It's for federal govt. loans. I bet that any private loan company (like Citi) does ask for references.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ugh, this is the worst! I had a bill that was due around when dd was born that I completely forgot about until a few months ago when my sister called to let me know that her MIL had received a call from someone looking for me! When I called the number and realized who/what it was, I paid it off (it was only about $40, ircc
) and tore into them for calling anyone other than me (all my info was up to date and they had never once tried to contact me regarding the past due amount).

Definitely tell them that no one by that name lives at your address/number and to stop calling you. And if they contact you again, you will report them to the BBB and the FTC. His debts have nothing to do with you. GL!

·
Registered
781 Posts
We get calls for SIL. From what I've read, they look at her credit report and see her old address, then cross reference the address to get DH's name (from when they both lived at home with their parents). So it's not like she was giving us as references or using our names.

I give her number out if it's an actual person on the line.
DH doesn't, but I'm the one home all day, running for the phone. Her mom gives her number too, so I don't feel as bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.