Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am part of my community's freecycle email list, and on a regular basis someone is offering formula and/or formula coupons. To me this is irritating, and I'm not sure why it's acceptable.

Does anyone have any experience or information about trying to get these things being excluded from being offered? Thoughts? I mean I can see how if I was using formula, I would like to get coupons. But I'm wondering if it goes against some code of ethics somehow... I know I"m reaching here. Just wanted to see what you all thought.

TIA!
Heidi

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaidymama View Post
So I am part of my community's freecycle email list, and on a regular basis someone is offering formula and/or formula coupons. To me this is irritating, and I'm not sure why it's acceptable.

Does anyone have any experience or information about trying to get these things being excluded from being offered? Thoughts? I mean I can see how if I was using formula, I would like to get coupons. But I'm wondering if it goes against some code of ethics somehow... I know I"m reaching here. Just wanted to see what you all thought.

TIA!
Heidi
I think it's better that the formula be freecycled and used by someone who would otherwise have to pay for it than for it to be thrown away. No one pays for it on freecycle, and if someone who is feeding their child formula (for whatever reason) is clever enough to get it for free through freecycle, more power to them. (It means that's less $$$ that person will give a formula company.)

But I see what you mean by a person offering it... Hmmm... Don't know about that. I mean, yeah, it's possible that person could be a formula representative trying to entice people to use formula, but it's more possible that it's a breastfeeding mom or a mom who doesn't use that brand of formula and doesn't want it to go to waste. I'd give the benefit of the doubt in this case, but I could be wrong...

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
When we were supplementing and trying different formulas to see which ones worked and which didnt, I got some off Freecycle, and gave some away on there. In the long run it saved me money, and helped me find out what worked best for my child. WIC didnt allow me to do this.....so I was unable to find out without having to spend alot of money...this saved me.

In the long run I am thankful for it. And I see that giving it away is alot better than selling it on eBay.....atleast they arent making money on it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
ive offered formula on freecycle-- i figure that if someone is already formula feeding, i wouldnt be able to change their minds, so why not help someone out a bit? I dont know their story. Maybe they had a reduction and couldnt bf... or wouldnt a mastectomy make it impossible to bf?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaidymama View Post

TIA!
Heidi
Not everyone CAN breastfeed. Some people seem to forget this. I very much wanted to breastfeed my preemie who was born via emergency C/S due to a placental abruption, but I almost didn't make it and had to get a blood transfusion,so my milk was very late in coming. I HAD to suppliment,what was I supposed to give my baby? I'm sorry,it may be my horrid period talking, but I get tired of all the anti-formula stuff sometimes. I felt guilty enough as it was having to give him formula,like my body had failed him.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie37 View Post
Not everyone CAN breastfeed. Some people seem to forget this. I very much wanted to breastfeed my preemie who was born via emergency C/S due to a placental abruption, but I almost didn't make it and had to get a blood transfusion,so my milk was very late in coming. I HAD to suppliment,what was I supposed to give my baby? I'm sorry,it may be my horrid period talking, but I get tired of all the anti-formula stuff sometimes. I felt guilty enough as it was having to give him formula,like my body had failed him.
Annie,

I don't think the OP was criticizing the recipients of the free formula... I think she was trying to figure out if this was some sort of marketing scheme by formula manufacturers to try and entice women to feed their baby formula, since it was offered for free... Like I said, though, I think it's a lot more likely that the person offering the formula is a real person who just wants to help another person out, not a formula company employee seeing if they can penetrate the freecycle marketing "underground."

Gosh, I hope all that made sense...

(But yeah, Annie, I feel your pain. I have to supplement with formula, too, and it does feel sometimes like my body has betrayed me.)

·
Registered
976 Posts
I see a lot of it on Freecycle about the time samples arrive at my own door. I donate it to a local charity though and Freecycle the coupons. I don't use formula, so it's just taking up room in my house.

Anna

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm a foster mom, and I've received formula through freecycle to feed my foster babies. I'm so thankful for it, because I'd rather receive it for free than line the pockets of the formula company. And most of the time when I've received it, it's been one can, and the sample one the formula companies send out. Breastfeeding moms offer the cans on freecycle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBear1976 View Post
Annie,

I don't think the OP was criticizing the recipients of the free formula... I think she was trying to figure out if this was some sort of marketing scheme by formula manufacturers to try and entice women to feed their baby formula, since it was offered for free... Like I said, though, I think it's a lot more likely that the person offering the formula is a real person who just wants to help another person out, not a formula company employee seeing if they can penetrate the freecycle marketing "underground."

Gosh, I hope all that made sense...

(But yeah, Annie, I feel your pain. I have to supplement with formula, too, and it does feel sometimes like my body has betrayed me.)
Yeah,I guess that makes sense. But I also freecycled a BUNCH of formula I had received from the mail & friends,after I began breastfeeding. A very nice young mom who said she had a lot of medical problems took it, and I think she emailed me 3 tmes to thank me. She also had medical reasons she couldn't bf.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I don't think that there's much point in doing anything on the "Freecycle level". The problem is that formula manufacturers give away these free samples and coupons, which entice people to use formula when breastmilk may very well be available.

IMO, one of the biggest problems with these "free" samples is that they drive up the costs of formula for families who truly do need it. If formula companies dropped their advertising budgets to $0 (which would only happen if they were required to by law) then formula would be much more affordable for those families who need to use it.

Annie37: In my vision of an "ideal world" donor milk would be available for all babies whose mothers were unable to provide enough breastmilk for them. But right now that isn't available for all babies, not even all preemies. Nobody on this board is "anti formula"- I see formula as being similar to lifeguards at the pool: I'm glad we have them, and it's certainly lifesaving in some situations, but I hope I never need to use it personally!

Formula should be readily available for babies who do not have breastmilk available for them- but the marketing of formula is encouraging many women to use formula when breastmilk IS available. That's what we're upset about- the formula companies with their unethical marketing practices. We have nothing against individual women who need to supplement or are medically unable to breastfeed for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
I have seen formula offered on my Freecycle board by regular posters of the board. They are moms, and sometimes dads, who have extra unopened cans to give away. I don't think this is something planned by formula companies. Freecycle doesn't seem like the best place to start marketing formula. If fact, it seems like most of the formula offered on my Freecyle isn't snatched up.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I really don't see how "doing something" would do any good. The key to lactivism is educating and supporting, not punishing people who chose another method of feeding. The baby can't help the way it's fed, and if that coupon or free can of formula will help their parent be able to feed them, so be it.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I don't think that there's much point in doing anything on the "Freecycle level". The problem is that formula manufacturers give away these free samples and coupons, which entice people to use formula when breastmilk may very well be available.

IMO, one of the biggest problems with these "free" samples is that they drive up the costs of formula for families who truly do need it. If formula companies dropped their advertising budgets to $0 (which would only happen if they were required to by law) then formula would be much more affordable for those families who need to use it.
this is SO true...i have a friend in northern ireland who ff and when she told me that their formula costs about HALF what ours does, i thought she was lying. she showed me the plain can and told me that there are no ads. we compared ingredients and theirs had the same as formula sold over here.

and people do not realize how much getting formula via wic drives up the cost for others. i believe that formula definitely has it's place, and giving some away on freecycle is so much better than letting it waste and having someone else spend their hard earned money making formula exec's richer!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
this is SO true...i have a friend in northern ireland who ff and when she told me that their formula costs about HALF what ours does, i thought she was lying. she showed me the plain can and told me that there are no ads. we compared ingredients and theirs had the same as formula sold over here.

and people do not realize how much getting formula via wic drives up the cost for others. i believe that formula definitely has it's place, and giving some away on freecycle is so much better than letting it waste and having someone else spend their hard earned money making formula exec's richer!
I agree with you and we have the same friend.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Yes, and in dozens of countries these ads (websites, TV commercials, samples, coupons, etc. etc.) ARE illegal. The USA is one of the only countries that does not follow the UNICEF/WHO recommendations about advertising of "breast milk substitutes" as they call them.

They are illegal in so many places because they reduce breastfeeding rates. These health organizations are not doing it to be be mean to formula feeding moms. Their intent is to keep breastfeeding moms from being tricked into formula feeding in those cases where FF is not necessary.

(And yes I have FF too!)

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sharon71 View Post
I agree with you and we have the same friend.

hi sharon!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I get that it's not about punishing people who use formula. I just thought it was a strange place to be offering a food product or coupons for a food product... It's the only food stuff I see on there at all.... so it seems to really stand out when it does come up. Maybe it's more common elsewhere. For my group, I guess it seems like the same person offering it.

Anyways, I guess there's nothing to be done. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Just a couple more thoughts...

1.our group forbids coupons, but not food.
2.I personally wouldn't feel comfortable offering or taking food from freecycle...even aside from the formula aspect.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have personally offered formula on freecycle... but when the lady came to get it, I included a TON of BF educational material along with it. The woman contacted me a few days later to thank me, and was hoping that BFing would work out for her.

I figured I'd use it as a vessel for education, rather than let it go to waste. Whether or not she ends up BFing, at least she learned a few things about it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.